Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Do Shaitel Machers make money selling shaitels?

QUEENY

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 4:06 pm
I'm asking bc there is a shaitel macher whom I really like to buy from but I don't use her to do my shaitels... SO Im wondering if they don't make money off of selling shaitels but hope to have the business afterwards of cutting and washing is it wrong of me to just buy and not utilize the services afterwards?
Also if a shaitel macher sells a shaitel for 2500 and out of the goodness of her heart gives me a better deal..did I just make her lose major money?

watergirl

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 4:11 pm
QUEENY wrote:
I'm asking bc there is a shaitel macher whom I really like to buy from but I don't use her to do my shaitels... SO Im wondering if they don't make money off of selling shaitels but hope to have the business afterwards of cutting and washing is it wrong of me to just buy and not utilize the services afterwards?
Also if a shaitel macher sells a shaitel for 2500 and out of the goodness of her heart gives me a better deal..did I just make her lose major money?

I hate when sheitel machers pull the "this wig sells for $3000 but if you promise you wont tell anyone, Ill give it to you for $xxx. Its a used car salesman trick. I've fallen for it before - I was a well known community member because of the job I had. Shetel macher "felt out of hakaras hatov" she gave it to be for a better price. That sheitel buying experince as a hole is why I stopped wearing wigs.

Do they make money? More than 400% mark up!! You didnt "make" her loose money because before she gave you a deal out of the goodness of her heart, she added $$$ to the price tag when she saw you walk up the walkway.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 4:18 pm
QUEENY wrote:

Yes, they make a huge markup off the shaitel but it comes with tremendous heartache. 1 in 15 who drive her crazy for hours actually buy (not a true statistic). And the one who buys comes back many times with things that need adjusting. It's all part of it. That's what this business is all about.
Don't feel bad if she gives you a better deal. If she sees that she can't make such a huge markup off you she may give you a better deal because better to make some money then none at all if you go elsewhere.

sky

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 4:21 pm
I've understood that sheitel machers make more money selling sheitels then providing sheitel services.

However, you want to discuss her rules for standing behind the sheitel. Many sellers will only back you if you use them for services. Because if the hair starts falling out, splits, knots, etc, and they weren't servicing it they may blame it on those that did (too hot blowdryer, too much\little conditioner, wrong tools, etc.). The person I bought my last sheitel did have such rules and when I had some major issues she helped me exchange it. Had I washed it elsewere she would not have stood behind it.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 6:42 pm
400% markup??? What on earth are you talking about? Can you tell me which brand because I'm a sheitalmacher and would love to sell a brand that can give me that kind of profit...

To answer op you can definitely feel comfortable buying the wig without using her services. Nobody works for free. There obviously is a markup when selling a wig.

But like another poster said she may not back it if you don't use her services for it.

Sewsew_mom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 7:41 pm
It's like asking if travel agents make $ selling tickets. Anyone who sells things make $. They can make more money if they cut and style it for u. I know the wig business pretty well...

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 8:25 pm
asmileaday wrote:
400% markup??? What on earth are you talking about? Can you tell me which brand because I'm a sheitalmacher and would love to sell a brand that can give me that kind of profit...

To answer op you can definitely feel comfortable buying the wig without using her services. Nobody works for free. There obviously is a markup when selling a wig.

But like another poster said she may not back it if you don't use her services for it.

I had a sheital macher sell me her wigs at cost. One wig was the same as I bought retail and the wig I had bought at retail was 400% more than the one at cost.

Is your question rhetorical or serious about the brand?

imsobored

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 4:55 am
I really doubt it's even possible to make 400% markup. I'm not a shaitle macher but my sis in law is and she sells me wigs at cost (I know she doesn't mark it up as she asked me to look at invoice from supplier to see how much I owe her.) she doesn't even mark it up 100% and isn't cheaper then any other shaitle macher.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 6:33 am
Don't be naive. Even with a deal they make money. It's a job.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 6:33 am
imsobored wrote:
I really doubt it's even possible to make 400% markup. I'm not a shaitle macher but my sis in law is and she sells me wigs at cost (I know she doesn't mark it up as she asked me to look at invoice from supplier to see how much I owe her.) she doesn't even mark it up 100% and isn't cheaper then any other shaitle macher.

This.
Squishy was it a manufacturer selling it to you at cost not a sheitalmacher? Or you were awfully ripped off when buying it retail (can happen, but 400% sounds exaggerated).

Yes I'd like to know if there's a brand that can really sell for 400% profit.

QUEENY

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 9:34 am
SO let's say Shuly sells their Shaitels to a shaitel Machar for 1500...do they tell them what to charge because they have there own store and wouldn't want to be undercut?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 9:38 am
The only one who has a 400% markup is the manufacturer, not the shaitel macher.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 10:00 am
ra_mom wrote:
The only one who has a 400% markup is the manufacturer, not the shaitel macher.

This can possibly be. Unless you're talking about a synthetic wig that was let's say $120 and she sells it for $500. (I don't deal with synthetics but from what I hear people pay this can totally be)

Post Fri, Jul 10 2015, 3:09 pm
asmileaday wrote:
This.
Squishy was it a manufacturer selling it to you at cost not a sheitalmacher? Or you were awfully ripped off when buying it retail (can happen, but 400% sounds exaggerated).

Yes I'd like to know if there's a brand that can really sell for 400% profit.

No. They were both well known retail SM with big operations. I got the first one for over $1000. The second one was only a couple of hundred. That is a 400% markup.

sky

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 9:09 am
Squishy wrote:
No. They were both well known retail SM with big operations. I got the first one for over $1000. The second one was only a couple of hundred. That is a 400% markup.

Maybe it was an old style on clearance. I got a $999 mazali at a sale for $350. It was an older sheitel they wanted to get rid of - so I didn't look at it that the others were marked up, just that they wanted to get rid of this one.

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 9:24 am
sky wrote:
Maybe it was an old style on clearance. I got a $999 mazali at a sale for $350. It was an older sheitel they wanted to get rid of - so I didn't look at it that the others were marked up, just that they wanted to get rid of this one.

That wasn't what happened. The 2nd SM owed me a big favor. She took the wig out of her regular stock. I got 2 more wigs from her and those were special ordered - same type of markup. I saw them selling for four times as much in Store Front.

If you got mazali at $350 it is likely they paid less. Sucessful businesses still make money on sale items. Perhaps they paid $250. This is still within range.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels