Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Ever teach sefer dvorim to hs?

bezrasHashem1

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 11:52 am
Looking for sime guidance. Since its not a story, it can get "dry"
Anyone out there have experience teaching this at a hs level?

ahuva06

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 3:09 pm
Nope, but good for you for keeping the lessons exciting! Did you try chinuch.org? sometimes they have great ideas.

ckk

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 7:03 pm
I've never taught it but I did learn it in hs. I actually loved it. The first parsha is the only one that may be hard to teach. The others have fascinating mitzvos that can be springboards for very interesting discussions and hashkafa. It's actually alot easier to make relevant to their lives than eg shmos. Highschool girls shouldn't need a story to grab their attention.

As far as devorim goes, you can present it as "lets experience how a tzaddik/rebbe leaves his ppl" " lets collect the mussar". Can even have the girls keep a notebook of dairy entries or gems or whatever as you go thru the mussar, to make it relavant and to give the parsha a flow.

You'd usage to look at the pasha to see if
that would work.
Havnt looked at it in years. Just typing out the top of my head.
Hope that helped. Very Happy

strawberry cola

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 9:08 pm
Mrs Perel Weiss teaches it in 8th grade at TAG- she does a phenomenal job and really keeps the kids' interest.l.
I suggest using the Sefer Shaarei Aharon- you can get it one volume at a time at Eichlers or elsewhere.
Two sefarim that are fantastic for teaching Devarim at HS level- Oznayim Latorah by Harav Zalman Sorotzkin ztl and B'eer Moshe by the Ozherover Rebbe . Full of midrashim and commentary on same etc.
When you get to Aseres Hadibros, assign girls or groups of girls to do an independent report with mefarshim on various dibros.
Hatzlacha raba.

imachossid

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 11:40 pm
I didn't teach it, but I remember learning it in hs. We learnt it in 12th grade. It was very interesting. Try to get them involved as much as possible. A project on the aseres hadibros... teach the more interesting parts such as shema...

imachossid

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 11:42 pm
You can do a compare & contrast between chumash vayikra & chumash devarim …the mitzvos repeated... Why some aren't repeated …

Tehila1

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 4:18 am
becca wrote:
Nope, but good for you for keeping the lessons exciting! Did you try chinuch.org? sometimes they have great ideas.

Exc website- used it to help me with all my prep for teaching
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics