Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Is Shmuel Kunda's A Ton of Mon based on a true story?

debsey

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 12:11 am
Help me resolve the kind of debate that springs up in a minivan when we're all overtired and stuck in way too much end-of-visiting-day traffic. We were listening to A Ton of Mon. Older boys and Tatty claim that Shmuel Kunda always had sources for the story. Mommy and girls claim there is no such story, it's all imaginary. What does everyone think? (and yes I'm sure this question will seem much less pressing when I'm less sleep deprived and able toget out of this car.) At wits end

alef12

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 12:28 am
My DH who went to camp Na'arim says that it is made up. DH was at camp the year Rabbi Kunda created that story. He says that Rabbi Kunda made it up as he went along, telling it on Shabbos afternoons. The boys sat on the stairs of the Dining Room and Rabbi Kunda kept them enthralled with the story. DH says you could see him coming up with the story as he told it ;-)

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 12:53 am
I don't think R' Kunda always had sources for his story - while some may have been based on actual historical events (There's Zaidy, The Royal Rescue, The Miraculous Menorah, The Longest Pesach, The Talking Coins), there are plenty of others that are a complete product of his imagination! Such as A Ton of Mon, The Incredible Draidel of Feitel von Zaidel, the Magic Yarmulke.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 1:30 am
As LilLIsraeli said, do you really think that The Magic Yalmulka or the Incredible Dreidel of Feitel von Zeidel have a source? Clearly not ALL of his stories have sources beyond his very creative mind Very Happy I'm pretty sure a Ton of Mon is in that category. . .

Now the question in our house always is whether or not Mayor LaGuardia actually saved someone's Bar-Mitzvah. . .. Very Happy

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 7:54 am
A ton of mon is not based on truth. Many of his stories are, but not that one. Smile

debsey

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 2:40 pm
mommy2b2c wrote:
A ton of mon is not based on truth. Many of his stories are, but not that one. Smile

I agree - I was on the "not based on a true story" side.
This argument proves one thing - given sufficient time in one another's company, my kids can debate about ANYTHING..........

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 3:00 pm
You cannot eat, get out of my tent!
Your head is bent, and filled with cement!

My kids love this part, and they will have a whole continuation of it, their own version of course.....and if I've had it with their squabbles, they will be quick to tell me that the NEVER have an arguement!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics