Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How much does it cost to live in RBS - Family of 9?

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 2:09 pm
Hi Ladies,

Could you please help me with a budget if we were to live in RBS. We are a family with older kids (7 -18). Looking at maybe 5 bedrooms, to rent initially.

Also, which areas are cheaper?

TIA!

WastingTime

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 2:22 pm
RBS gimmel is cheaper now. Seems like every week I hear of another family moving there from A. You can really get more for your money over there.
But it is still a construction site so you would have to keep that in mind.
In A there are of course variations in price based on street/area, but it also depends what kind of shuls/schools you would want to daven in/send kids to. Ramat Shilo is pricier in general.

For budgeting- are you planning on having a car? what size?

We are a family of 7 (kids are younger, oldest is 12) with a small car and no rent/mortgage and spend about 10-15,000 NIS a month.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 10:59 pm
Thanks so much for your reply.

Could anyone else chime in with more info please?

juggling

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 3:33 am
Quote:
We are a family of 7 (kids are younger, oldest is 12) with a small car and no rent/mortgage and spend about 10-15,000 NIS a month.

We are also a family of 7, oldest is 15. We spend at least twice that, and struggle to stay under budget. We have a mortgage, a 7-seater (old and clunky) car, insurance, cell phones, Internet, school payments, electricity and water bills, etc. We have sat with a financial planner. She did not recommend cutting much. I don't know how anyone makes it on 10-15,000 nis per month.

You may want to look at nefesh b'nefesh, or talk to one of several financial planners about what to expect.

Btw we live in a slightly cheaper area of beit Shemesh, not rbs.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 3:57 am
We're very similar to 4 sons, same size, small car no mortgage avge 12-13,000 a month with budgeting. We could go well above that Smile It also doesn't include extras my parents will buy, often shoes and some clothing or a stroller, that type of thing.
Depending on where your kids go to school you might have very low tuition or a little more, but nothing is like the US.
Most people pay for extra health insurance coverage, but you don't have to for almost all basic services - it's really for a rainy day, and it has some perks like cheap eyeglasses. It's around 130 or so for a family.
Most of alef is similar in pricing, although some streets might be a tad cheaper, but it really depends on the apartment itself - what floor, how renovated,etc. Gimmel is cheaper. A five bedroom in alef will almost certainly be a duplex or cottage, which could run between 5500 if you're lucky to 7-8000. In gimmel it might be 1000 less.
Let us know if you have more specific questions!

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 5:26 am
I pay 6000 NIS for my 5 bedroom duplex in RBSA. But the same apartment is now for rent and the landlord is asking 6600. That does not include arona. Electricity runs 1000 NIS a month as does water and gas. I pay 650 NIS a month tuition and that doesn't include books. My oldest is 10. I understand high school is more expensive. We save money by not having a car. It's annoying but doable.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 5:29 am
RBSA has a Facebook page were you may get more Info

juggling

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 8:19 am
amother wrote:
I pay 6000 NIS for my 5 bedroom duplex in RBSA. But the same apartment is now for rent and the landlord is asking 6600. That does not include arona. Electricity runs 1000 NIS a month as does water and gas. I pay 650 NIS a month tuition and that doesn't include books. My oldest is 10. I understand high school is more expensive. We save money by not having a car. It's annoying but doable.

My mortgage is less than your rent. My electricity, water, and gas are all much less than yours. But I have *tons* of other expenses! Phone, cell phone, Internet, groceries, clothing, home insurance, health insurance, car insurance, and so much more!

Obviously one could live without a car, get minimal insurance, clothing from gemachim, put off home repairs, do without furniture when it breaks or the family grows, use the most basic cell phone package and get fewer lines, etc. There are ways to cut, if you need to. So I guess the answer to op's question will depend a lot on what standard of living she's looking to maintain.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 9:14 am
juggling wrote:
My mortgage is less than your rent. My electricity, water, and gas are all much less than yours. But I have *tons* of other expenses! Phone, cell phone, Internet, groceries, clothing, home insurance, health insurance, car insurance, and so much more!

Obviously one could live without a car, get minimal insurance, clothing from gemachim, put off home repairs, do without furniture when it breaks or the family grows, use the most basic cell phone package and get fewer lines, etc. There are ways to cut, if you need to. So I guess the answer to op's question will depend a lot on what standard of living she's looking to maintain.

I have those expenses too (just not the car insurance). I own a property and when I sell that I expect to be able to buy a place mortgage free, which will also lower my expenses. I was just giving a sample of some of my expenses.

juggling

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 9:21 am
amother wrote:
I have those expenses too (just not the car insurance). I own a property and when I sell that I expect to be able to buy a place mortgage free, which will also lower my expenses. I was just giving a sample of some of my expenses.

Got it. I thought you were also saying you live on 10,000 shekels monthly. I didn't see how that could possibly add up. Thanks for clarifying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions