Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is there an organization/funding for special ed lawyers?
1  2  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 6:14 pm
I need a lawyer to help get services for my child. They cost a fortune. I am not suing for tuition so it's not like the money I'm saving will make up for it. It is worth it to me to help my child but one little detail, I DON'T HAVE that kind of money at all! I just spoke to a lawyer on the phone, over $300 to just talk to them and find out what kind of case you have and then after that is when you find out how many more thousands you have to pay. Per year. You have to do the case again every year, with the same fee. More if it goes to a hearing. I am flipping out.

Please tell me there is some organization that helps with these things l'sheim mitzvah!

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 7:58 pm
Where are you located? If you're in New York, I could give you names of organizations/individuals that could help you...

Ashrei

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:09 pm
I'm in NY and I'd love names of organizations/individuals that could help. (But I'm not the OP, just a special needs mom who finds this info useful...)

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:15 pm
I am in NY yes. (OP) Would move for the right schooling setup but not before September anyway.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:48 pm
Are you referring to a school-aged child, or a preschooler? (CPSE or CSE) Which school district do you live in?

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:51 pm
Any professional worth their salt will be able to deal with different districts.

This is for a child who is aging out of CPSE and I want to know if we can get pendency (?) to continue CPSE services.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 9:29 pm
The reason I asked which district you're in is because I am a former DOE employee and know some of the administrators in several of the districts... You might want to contact Toba Lichtenstein from Otsar. She will tell you your rights as a parent, and will help you with the process. Her email address is advocacy@otsar.org

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 9:32 pm
I don't know how knowing the administrators would help. I need help with the process and with asking for something that is not the norm. But thanks, and thanks for the Otsar address, what do they do?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 9:38 pm
you can try Juby Shapiro at Tafkid. I am not sure she is a lawyer, but an educational advocate and can do pendency and is significantly cheaper than a lawyer . I don't know if I would trust if it was a complicated case though.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 9:53 pm
amother wrote:
you can try Juby Shapiro at Tafkid. I am not sure she is a lawyer, but an educational advocate and can do pendency and is significantly cheaper than a lawyer . I don't know if I would trust if it was a complicated case though.

I don't know if it's complicated until I talk to someone...that's why I want someone to talk to! Do you know how I can reach her? I googled Tafkid because I'd heard of it before but no one answered the phone and the email address returned to me undeliverable, doesn't exist Confused

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 9:54 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know if it's complicated until I talk to someone...that's why I want someone to talk to! Do you know how I can reach her? I googled Tafkid because I'd heard of it before but no one answered the phone and the email address returned to me undeliverable, doesn't exist Confused

718-252-2236

tafkid@aol.com

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 10:06 pm
OK that's the number I had but a different email address. However, that email address you just gave I had tried more than once in the past (before my IEP meetings) and never got a response Sad

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 7:51 am
amother wrote:
OK that's the number I had but a different email address. However, that email address you just gave I had tried more than once in the past (before my IEP meetings) and never got a response Sad

I know someone that used her in the past. She was very difficult to readh and not much of a help at all.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 10:46 am
Some of the administrators are more generous and more flexible than others. So it's just good to know who you're dealing with, to know which strategies might work...

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 12:45 am
I would try otsar and go from there. Also does Joan Harrington still do this type of work?
Unfourtunatly tfkid used to be more helpful but at this point they are not

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 3:37 am
There is a new agency in Brooklyn called "Encore" who will cover most of the attorney fees on condition that you use their agency to provide services for your child. They use a top lawyer. This agency has recruited excellent therapists - they pay very well, however there isn't much direction so you have to sort of set the course yourself.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 9:01 am
amother wrote:
I would try otsar and go from there. Also does Joan Harrington still do this type of work?
Unfourtunatly tfkid used to be more helpful but at this point they are not

Joan Harrington is excellent but also very $$.

In a way you get what you pay for Crying

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 9:48 am
amother wrote:
There is a new agency in Brooklyn called "Encore" who will cover most of the attorney fees on condition that you use their agency to provide services for your child. They use a top lawyer. This agency has recruited excellent therapists - they pay very well, however there isn't much direction so you have to sort of set the course yourself.

Bump
Anyone has the phone number for encore?

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 10:11 am
I would recommend you don't give up on calling Mrs. Shapiro/Tafkid she's been doing this for 20 years and knows the ropes well and only charges a minimal fee if u take her down to court with you. Be patient and continue to try to reach her it's worth it!

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
I would recommend you don't give up on calling Mrs. Shapiro/Tafkid she's been doing this for 20 years and knows the ropes well and only charges a minimal fee if u take her down to court with you. Be patient and continue to try to reach her it's worth it!

I am not the OP, and need Encore's phone number for something unrelated.

Does anyone have it?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics