Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How can I go back to work if my kids are always sick??

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 9:33 am
I recently started sending my little ones out and was planning to go back to work when they start school in September.

But in the past month they've already been home for about 20 days combined! (Some were overlapping).

We need the extra income in order to be able to pay their tuition next year.

I know ideally I should get a work-from-home job. But with so many scammers, I only feel comfortable working at home for someone I know.

What other solutions are there? There's no way we can afford tuition with our current income. And I cannot keep them home for another year, for sanity's sake.

gold21

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 9:46 am
Very real issue that many women struggle with, but which is not addressed- not in our world, and not in the world at large.

I have found that every family has their own individual way of making it work- supportive family, in-house babysitter, husband with flexible job, etc. For those women without supportive family/in-house babysitter/ flexible job for one working spouse..... it's very confusing as to how to make it work.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 9:46 am
Usually the first year they are out, they get sick the most. After that G/d willing, it is less of a problem. Other options depening on where you live and your space might be an au pair type situation. You can also speak to a SAHM and ask if she'd be willing to be your backup for mild sick care.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 9:57 am
gold21 wrote:
Very real issue that many women struggle with, but which is not addressed- not in our world, and not in the world at large.

I have found that every family has their own individual way of making it work- supportive family, in-house babysitter, husband with flexible job, etc. For those women without supportive family/in-house babysitter/ flexible job for one working spouse..... it's very confusing as to how to make it work.

I don't have those Sad
Unless I find a flexible job...?

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 9:58 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
Usually the first year they are out, they get sick the most. After that G/d willing, it is less of a problem. Other options depening on where you live and your space might be an au pair type situation. You can also speak to a SAHM and ask if she'd be willing to be your backup for mild sick care.

I hope it'll only be the first year. Because they do have weaker immune systems.

And what's an au pair type situation?

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 10:01 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
You can also speak to a SAHM and ask if she'd be willing to be your backup for mild sick care.

It upsets me when people bring their kids over to my house when they're sick. It's a guarantee that my kids will catch whatever they have. How can I do that very same thing to someone else?

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 10:20 am
amother wrote:
It upsets me when people bring their kids over to my house when they're sick. It's a guarantee that my kids will catch whatever they have. How can I do that very same thing to someone else?

Amother, you may notice I said SPEAK TO A SAHM not dump your sick kid on one. I know plenty of SAHMs who take mildly sick kids for the extra money. No one said give the kid medicine to hide the fever and make a play date.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 10:23 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
Amother, you may notice I said SPEAK TO A SAHM not dump your sick kid on one. I know plenty of SAHMs who take mildly sick kids for the extra money. No one said give the kid medicine to hide the fever and make a play date.

Really? I don't know of one person that would watch a kid too sick to be in school unless that person was absolutely desperate for money.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 10:28 am
Ask other mothers, neighbors, ppl in the drs office what they do- they might have ideas. Maybe a stahm would be willing to come watch them in your home, less germs.
Please also speak to the ped about boosting their immunity. Sometimes a good vitamin can make a big diff ( noticed w my own kids). But it has to be a good one w real nutrients.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 3:26 pm
The first few days/weeks of a child who's never been out, they are sick a lot. Then their immune system gets used to being around common bugs.Hopefully IYH you won't have to deal with this often.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 3:39 pm

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 4:43 pm
Not necessarily , mama bear ( love the avatar btw). My kids are sick all year long the first time they go to nursery or play group.

imaima

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 4:44 pm
My kids get sick a lot till the age of 5 or 6. It's really hard. Someone needs to be flexible.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 5:07 pm
What do you mean by sick? do you mean fever, vomiting, a wheezing cough, excessive fatigue? Or do you mean runny nose and regular cough? Because no one keeps their kids home for the latter, and they don't expect you to do that either.

I just can't think of what kind of normal illness keeps kids home for 20 days out of 30 days. Something doesn't add up here.

gold21

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 5:29 pm
I'll vote for the president that recognizes that there are many moms who can contribute to the economy and the workforce, but don't work due to inflexibility of our society in recognizing the needs of moms of young children.

Yes, many moms work/ but just as many want to/need to, but cant

A flexible workplace will encourage those moms to get out there and put in whatever hours they can- I think the economy would benefit

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 7:12 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
What do you mean by sick? do you mean fever, vomiting, a wheezing cough, excessive fatigue? Or do you mean runny nose and regular cough? Because no one keeps their kids home for the latter, and they don't expect you to do that either.

I just can't think of what kind of normal illness keeps kids home for 20 days out of 30 days. Something doesn't add up here.

Note I said 20 days combined. They don't each stay home 20 out of 30 days, but for me, having to stay home all that time, is a problem.
No I don't keep them home for simple colds. Once it's a strep, once a stomach virus, another time a pinkeye...

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 7:44 pm
If you go back to work you can split the sick child care with your husband. Find a workplace that is family friendly. You can usually find a list of family friendly employers in your area with a google.

bookworm10

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 8:10 pm
I had this problem, and it was really really hard. I got an in-house babysitter now and it is so much of a stress-relief.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers