Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Socks for Sensory Child

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 4:08 am
Aaaaargh!!! I've just about had it! 4 yo DS is always complaining that his socks hurt him and he yanks them off immediately. Every morning we go through a whole saga until he's finally ready for school. Shoes are a problem too. I've been putting on the socks inside out to avoid the seam but he still protests incessantly.

I told him that we'll have to take him to school barefoot if he doesn't cooperate and after protesting slightly he actually agreed (!) to go to school barefoot... when I told him the kids will laugh at him he said it doesn't matter and that I should make sure to tell his teacher to keep him in during playtime as he can't go outside barefoot. lol. Then he decided he wants to go with crocs.

Oh well.

On and on the morning went until we finally found some socks and shoes that were 'okay' and he finally went to school. The minute he comes home it's all off again, and then in the morning it's a repeat.

I've been contemplating purchasing seamless socks but I don't think that will solve the problem as he protests even when the socks are inside out.

This exhausted mother needs your ideas!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 4:18 am
Have you tried inside out? It may be the seam that bothers him. Look for smooth socks without pictures since those have bothersome threads inside. Perhaps the sensory ladies here have more specific suggestions.

animeme

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 4:36 am
Yes, inside out. The outsides are smoother too. Check the seams though, because some are bulky on the inside too. And again yes to no designs at all.

ray family

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 4:40 am
we used seamless. one thing that I found SUPER helpful w/ my daughter who would have an absolute meltdown every morning was that she was not allowed to look while I was putting on her socks. I found that sometimes just seeing the seam where she didn't want it to be would throw her off balance. she also only got 3 chances for me to "fix" them and make them how she wanted them. after that she needed to figure it out for herself. I found that brushing and pressure on the joints before putting getting dressed would relax her- making the whole process smoother.

good luck

PAMOM

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 4:41 am
My Dh and ds are both like this. Definitely try seamless socks. All cotton sports-type often work well. His shoes may also be a factor. Dd wore soft shoes till she was a preteen and fashion became an issue. She still takes off her shoes as soon as she comes home, as does dh. Dd also outgrew shoes every 8-10 weeks for a while. Sounds obvious but does he need new shoes?
Pity his poor Kallah-- dh won't wear anything that isn't 100% cotton, must be the one to pick out sheets, and is incredibly picky about where the elastic in his underwear is. I'm not making light of your problem, just saying I feel your pain.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 5:09 am
Thanks for your responses!

For those who mentioned putting on socks inside-out, I clearly mentioned in my OP that we've tried that unsuccessfully.

Mommies of sensory kids -- do you find the seamless socks work better than wearing the socks inside-out?

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 5:14 am
PAMOM wrote:
My Dh and ds are both like this. Definitely try seamless socks. All cotton sports-type often work well. His shoes may also be a factor. Dd wore soft shoes till she was a preteen and fashion became an issue. She still takes off her shoes as soon as she comes home, as does dh. Dd also outgrew shoes every 8-10 weeks for a while. Sounds obvious but does he need new shoes?
Pity his poor Kallah-- dh won't wear anything that isn't 100% cotton, must be the one to pick out sheets, and is incredibly picky about where the elastic in his underwear is. I'm not making light of your problem, just saying I feel your pain.

Thanks for the suggestions. Perhaps I'll try soft shoes and see if it's better.

Phew can I relate! DS is not particular about 100% cotton though he has periods where he hates wearing clothes altogether. He looks totally neglected running around in his underwear and undershirt but what's a mom to do?!? I try to turn a blind eye whenever I can.

It's difficult to pinpoint what exactly his problem is as it keeps changing.
Sometimes it's no shirts, only t-shirts, other times is no clothes altogether, and yet other times no socks. Scratching Head

Any ideas to reduce the sensitivity?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 5:18 am
Yes, seamless socks work better than inside out.
We've bought expensive OT type socks specifically made for this. They were good until they started pimpling, a sensory problem too.
And then by accident we found a soft company locally that makes seamless socks (doesn't say on package) for one of their specific lines.
MeMe fashion collection (none of the other collections). Check out if this have this collection for boys as well. If not, buy the simple ankle socks if you can find.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 5:19 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Perhaps I'll try soft shoes and see if it's better.

Phew can I relate! DS is not particular about 100% cotton though he has periods where he hates wearing clothes altogether. He looks totally neglected running around in his underwear and undershirt but what's a mom to do?!? I try to turn a blind eye whenever I can.

It's difficult to pinpoint what exactly his problem is as it keeps changing.
Sometimes it's no shirts, only t-shirts, other times is no clothes altogether, and yet other times no socks. Scratching Head

Any ideas to reduce the sensitivity?

Is he getting OT therapy at a sensory gym?

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 5:38 am
Thanks ra_mom! We've recently been referred for an assessment and are waiting... I hope we'll get some services soon.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 6:07 am
amother wrote:
Thanks ra_mom! We've recently been referred for an assessment and are waiting... I hope we'll get some services soon.

If he's not approved by the department of education, speak to your pediatrician about getting a prescription for OT and do it through your health insurance company, though I do admit more gyms bill the DOE and less gyms bill insurance providers.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 6:15 am
ra_mom wrote:
If he's not approved by the department of education, speak to your pediatrician about getting a prescription for OT and do it through your health insurance company, though I do admit more gyms bill the DOE and less gyms bill insurance providers.

Thanks for the info ra_mom. I don't live in the States to this is not really applicable but I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

The process for funded therapy is lengthy and since I want him to get the necessary help ASAP I self referred to a private agency. Need to wait for the next availability though.

He's so unpredictable that some days I think he definitely needs OT, and other days I'm not so sure.

tzila

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 6:45 am
I sell socks, and sensory issues regularly come up. Try the Trimfit 3-pack ankle socks, they are great and have what they call a "Comfort Toe" with a very smooth seam.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 7:35 am
Great idea tzila! I actually use the trimfit cotton tights that have comfort toe for dd. Good to know they have sock available as well.

Barbara

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 7:38 am
What kind of shoes is he wearing?

We used shoes with velcro closures, so we could open them very wide when putting them on. It wasn't just the seam, it was also the sock moving forward to fit the toes more tightly when the shoes went on.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 12:16 pm
tzila wrote:
I sell socks, and sensory issues regularly come up. Try the Trimfit 3-pack ankle socks, they are great and have what they call a "Comfort Toe" with a very smooth seam.

I'm not in the US and don't think we have those here but I'll ask my local sock shop for a recommendation. Thanks!

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 12:18 pm
Barbara wrote:
What kind of shoes is he wearing?

We used shoes with velcro closures, so we could open them very wide when putting them on. It wasn't just the seam, it was also the sock moving forward to fit the toes more tightly when the shoes went on.

He has shoes with two velcro straps and they fit pretty well as far as I'm aware. You're right though that the issue isn't only the seam.

Barbara

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 1:07 pm
amother wrote:
He has shoes with two velcro straps and they fit pretty well as far as I'm aware. You're right though that the issue isn't only the seam.

I wasn't clear. It's not the fit of of the shoe. It's that when you push your foot into the shoe, the sock can move, bunching up and/or having the foot move forward in the sock, so its tighter. Opening the shoe wide when putting it on lets you adjust the sock inside the shoe, and make sure there's wiggle room in the front.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 12:54 am
DD is exactly the same way. She truly DESPISES socks and shoes, and always has. This is the same kid who will gladly walk barefoot in the snow, on burning hot cement, or over sharp gravel with no problem at all.

DH is really upset that DD won't wear tights, so I've had to compromise and have her wear cotton leggings. She wears a pair of boots she likes, with no socks under them. She still kicks them off when she gets home, but at least it looks like she's wearing tights.

When kids are both sensory seeking AND sensory avoidant, you never know what is going to bother them next. At wits end
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics