Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Empty house and full pockets

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 11:40 pm
I am looking for advice on how to shop. Kindly tell me how you know to purchase something. I don't have attachments to stuff and I have no interest in the process of furnishing my house, but it is necessary. It is years past the point of necessary. I have furniture which functions, but nothing that is as nice as it should be.

I am not interested in interior designors, and pushy sales people turn me off to the point I forget about shopping for another few months.

How do you know it is time to buy something unless it grabs you?

alef12

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 12:32 am
Try browsing Houzz.com to get an idea of what your style is. That's a good first step. Only then should you shop. I've done very well "decorating" my house with a combination of finds from Costco, Tjmaxx, Target , Home Goods etc.. but first I figured out what types of things I like by looking at thousands of pictures of other people's houses.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 12:40 am
Using a decorator to guide you help make the right decisions in the long run you will enjoy living in a professionally decorated home

trixx

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 5:44 am
Couod someone else shop for you since you don't seem to care? Friend or relative? Give them. Budget and ask for a makeover?
Alternatively you can maybe find someone who is aspiring or amateur designer and let your house be their project

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 6:53 am
alef12 wrote:
Try browsing Houzz.com to get an idea of what your style is. That's a good first step. Only then should you shop. I've done very well "decorating" my house with a combination of finds from Costco, Tjmaxx, Target , Home Goods etc.. but first I figured out what types of things I like by looking at thousands of pictures of other people's houses.
I can try that again. I sort of know what I would like. I know what style would work. An example is headboards. I have looked at a few hundred. I find a couple that work. Nothing is fantastic. Then I get bored and stop looking for months. How do you know which one to purchase?

I have the same issues with my cars. I don't care what I drive as long as it gets me places dependedly.

Why do other women seem to like this so much?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 6:58 am
amother wrote:
Using a decorator to guide you help make the right decisions in the long run you will enjoy living in a professionally decorated home

I have tried a few decorators and designers. I am not so interested in using one. If they are too pushy I withdraw. If they are too laid back nothing gets done. I also never saw one whose style grabbed me. I have a good sense of style.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 7:00 am
trixx wrote:
Couod someone else shop for you since you don't seem to care? Friend or relative? Give them. Budget and ask for a makeover?
Alternatively you can maybe find someone who is aspiring or amateur designer and let your house be their project

This would be ideal but then comes the problem of what if I don't like what they pick out?

My question is for shoppers how do you know when to purchase something?

imaima

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 7:10 am
amother wrote:
I can try that again. I sort of know what I would like. I know what style would work. An example is headboards. I have looked at a few hundred. I find a couple that work. Nothing is fantastic. Then I get bored and stop looking for months. How do you know which one to purchase?

I have the same issues with my cars. I don't care what I drive as long as it gets me places dependedly.

Why do other women seem to like this so much?

I have never designed a house from scratch so I always looked for things that match what I already have.

I assume you already have a house and some furniture in there. So whenever something needs replacement, you match it with the rest of stuff.

imaima

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 7:11 am
amother wrote:
This would be ideal but then comes the problem of what if I don't like what they pick out?

My question is for shoppers how do you know when to purchase something?

When something is broken or doesn't suit for your purposes?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 7:23 am
To design my kitchen, I knew what layout I wanted, but was having a hard time with colors and textures. I looked through Houzz and saved the pictures that I felt good looking at.
The same can be done with furniture, art, accents, paint or whatever.
It's probably worth getting neutral colors in classic designs. That way you can experiment with throw pillows, rugs, table runners, curtains to give style and color.

sourstix

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 8:58 am
I think you are looking for something that isnt there. you have good style and look and look find something thats ok and then you think its not fabulous. who says it has to be fabulous? and when your house is decorated with the stuff thats just ok you will see what a difference it makes. but only you can convince yourself of that. take those things you think are ok and put them in place and then walk back a few steps and admire how nice it does to your house. just my experience.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics