Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Does anyone do book rebinding? (Trolls need not reply)

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 4:43 pm
I know I could go to a local yeshiva and ask a bachur to show me but does anyone do it? And know any video tutorials? TIA.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 4:48 pm
Where are you located? Have a professional do it or you might find yourself with a book that is ruined beyond repair.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 4:49 pm
There are a great many bookbinding tutorials on YouTube and Pinterest depending on the binding you choose.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 7:54 pm
I work in a local Jewish library. We have so many books that need repairing and some that should be thrown out I have enough to practice on.
Magenta, the stuff that's coming up so far isn't what I'm interested in. I have heavy duty filters and only want to override stuff that's relevant. Have you ever seen books bound, like in a shul? They're held in a clamp, holes are drilled through as close to the spine as possible, then the binder sews it with a strong thread like dental floss and puts electric tape on the spine of the book.

Reesa

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 7:59 pm
amother wrote:
I work in a local Jewish library. We have so many books that need repairing and some that should be thrown out I have enough to practice on.
Magenta, the stuff that's coming up so far isn't what I'm interested in. I have heavy duty filters and only want to override stuff that's relevant. Have you ever seen books bound, like in a shul? They're held in a clamp, holes are drilled through as close to the spine as possible, then the binder sews it with a strong thread like dental floss and puts electric tape on the spine of the book.

You just gave yourself the correct directions. Do you have those clamps and an electric drill and black tape and dental floss? If not go shopping and you're good to go!

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 8:00 pm
Reesa wrote:
You just gave yourself the correct directions. Do you have those clamps and an electric drill and black tape and dental floss? If not go shopping and you're good to go!

I know but I'd love to see it in action.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 8:11 pm
amother wrote:

Yes I've seen sewn bindings like that. I live in a town with two book binderies and a third that does conservation work for major libraries/museums across the country. You may want to check your area and see if there are any custom binderies in your area. Many are welcome to share their skills and some often offer classes. But never use electrical tape on a sewn perfect binding. There are special adhesives that are specifically designed for this purpose.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 8:38 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Yes I've seen sewn bindings like that. I live in a town with two book binderies and a third that does conservation work for major libraries/museums across the country. You may want to check your area and see if there are any custom binderies in your area. Many are welcome to share their skills and some often offer classes. But never use electrical tape on a sewn perfect binding. There are special adhesives that are specifically designed for this purpose.

There is a guy that goes around rebinding books really cheap. He uses electrical tape. Those that use him aren't interested in pretty so much as for the information. I think he did it for less than $1 a book and is very busy. There is a market for electrical tape bindings.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 8:49 pm
amother wrote:
There is a guy that goes around rebinding books really cheap. He uses electrical tape. Those that use him aren't interested in pretty so much as for the information. I think he did it for less than $1 a book and is very busy. There is a market for electrical tape bindings.

Uh, okay. Confused

sky

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 8:56 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Uh, okay. Confused

I take a lot of our stuff for binding - my children's many seforim, sedurim, books, etc. I don't want to spend a lot because then I can just buy a new one. I'm not too particular about what they use - as long as it holds the books together. One of my nephews does a lot of work for me - he probably does use electrical tape now that I think of it.

I don't know how he does it, all I know is that his mother mourns the loss of her ironing board. She said it is now full of wholes from the binding.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 9:00 pm
I had been determined to learn to do it as we have a huge home library with many volumes in need of binding. When I was in E"Y, my DGS demonstrated it for me, and I decided that I would probably be better off finding someone to do it for me (unfortunately I cannot import him). I've found some bochurim here in Chicago who do it in their yeshivos, but I really need someone who would come here to work on it. Does anyone know someone in Chicago (maybe a bochur over bein hazmanim) who would do that? I'd be willing to pay more than they get for it in yeshiva.

sped

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 10:50 pm
Anyone know someone in Y-m who does this?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 3:00 am
Dh learned to do it.

Materials:
Drill
Bit+ extender
Bowl
4" needle
Nylon string
Lighter
Needle-nose pliers
Gaff tape Suretape brand, fabric type. 1" or 2" we have black, but all colors are available.
Scissors

Get the attachment for the thinnest drill bit. Put a piece of masking tape in the front and back covers in the fold where it attaches to the book. Also tape any weak points at this time. After making sure the pages are straight, put the spine of the book an inch or so off the edge of the table. Tear a piece of gaff tape a little shorter than the book 1/2" wide. Place it in the indentation between the spine and cover. Drill 3-4 evenly spaced holes, make sure they won't go through the glue or text. Make sure to have a bowl or something on a chair to catch all the little bits that will fall.
Thread a 4" long needle with strong nylon string. Wrap the string around the book 3 1/2 times, cut it. Open the back cover and push the needle through the bottom hole towards the front of the book. Pull it through leaving about 5". Hanging from the back. Keeping the string straight and untwisted, go through the next hole up. If it gets hard to pull the needle through, use pliers to help you. Keep going in and out until you end up at the back cover. Go through and tie a single knot with the other end of the string.
While holding the string ends in one hand, open and close the book, adjusting how tight the binding will be. Once you're satisfied, tie a double knot. Test it again if you'd like. Now tie the string a couple more times. Lie the book on its face and using a lighter, light the string on fire. It will melt. Quickly slam the cover closed and hold it down. It is now melted into place.
Now the string has to be taped in place and reinforcements done.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 3:02 am
(Odd thread title. Do you expect a lot of trolls will be attracted to this topic?)

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 3:02 am
sped wrote:
Anyone know someone in Y-m who does this?

The Mir yeshiva has its own binary, that's where we got our materials for the best price.

sped

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 3:42 am
Thanks but I don't want to do it myself and DH won't either. I would rather not have to wait until ds grows up enough.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 9:27 am
I used to rebind old siddurim with my father, but we only bound our own books. we did not use a drill, we took the old binding apart, signature by signature. we pressed the pages for a week to flatten them out, then we'd resew the signatures together (adding new end paper), glue the binding, press another week, then put on a new cover. we made the covers ourselves too. my dad took a bookbinding course and loved it. my son's chumash is falling apart, and I intend to rebind it. I have to find the right materials (glue, cord, a good fabric for the new cover, nice endpaper). it's not a particularly hard process, but it takes a few weeks. you don't need a book press, btw, we used a stack of encyclopedias.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 9:32 am
DrMom wrote:
(Odd thread title. Do you expect a lot of trolls will be attracted to this topic?)

Because this is something yeshiva buchrim do. Locally they charge about $4/book. I can see that it does take some time and materials.

Thanks, Lymnok! And now I know where the lighter comes in.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Feb 10 2020, 9:21 pm
Reviving an old thread.
I learned how to do it and b"H have done quite a lot. I saw how a big service does it. They only reinforce the inner cover pages instead of also reinforcing a few pages in. And they tie it on the back cover, outside. It's easier, quicker, and I think a lot stronger this way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics