Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Methods to teach ABC and aleph bais

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 3:25 pm
I´m looking for a good, fun method to teach dd Aleph Bais and ABC at home... Pls share if u hv any ideas or resources...
TIA

alittlebirdie

Post Wed, Jul 15 2015, 3:28 pm
Best way is to sit with her and read. There are many beginner books ouit there that teach aleph bais and abc.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 5:30 pm
For English ABC, you might want to look up 'alphablocks' on internet. It is a children's educational programme on CBeebees (BBC's children channel) for teaching phonetics. Each letter is an animated character with specific sounds. My son literally taught himself how to read when he was 5 yr old or so.

octopus

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 5:33 pm
starfall.com

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 5:36 pm
For aleph bai's check out chinuch.org early childhood section. Lots of choices and valuable info. You can print as much as you like. It's free to be a member.

For ABC's check out abcmouse.com

Good luck

MrsDash

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 6:02 pm
Buy some alphabet books or print out the capital letters and sing the song with your toddler several times a day and they will learn and maintain that knowledge very quickly.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 7:31 pm
Everyone has a way to do this. May way was to have them watch youtube every day for abc such as we are the alphabet.... and eventually to learn phonics abc phonics video

with aleph beis I could not find such a good video but I let them watch those videos daily besides going through the books with them but I believe it must be done daily like as if in school

Starfall is also good

smilingmom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 8:05 pm
I used four sets of aleph bet flash cards.
I had kids sorting three or four different letters at a time.
I did not teach them what the letter was called or what sounds they make, just had them sort do they could notice the minute difference between כ and ב for instance.
Once the knew the difference between all the letters, with accuracy, I taught them the names and sounds of letters. I tried to use English words with only that one consonant ie, baby, go, daddy,

seeker

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 8:39 pm
Can you clarify what you're looking for - how old is the child? Are you homeschooling, looking to supplement schooling that's in a different language, trying to teach yourself because she had a specific difficulty picking it up in school or elsewhere?

I'd start with basic ABC books that are a few words with pictures on a page, with some rhyme or something to make it more interesting to read (Dr. Seuss's ABC is a fine place to start, though I think my kids learned more from books that were slightly less interesting because there the rhymes are a little distracting... we have an ABC I Spy book, for example) Then you can do extension activities focusing on one letter/sound at a time. It can be natural/spontaneous, for example once in the supermarket I just suddenly started to look for things starting with a certain letter, I started it off and then DD found more things to add (I think it was C. Carrots, cantaloupe, cabbage...)

Homeschooling and preschool teaching blogs are overflowing with ideas. Go on pinterest and follow some.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics