Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Sea Bass $28.99 per pound??

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 4:16 pm
Where can I purchase Chilean sea bass in Boro Park for less than this price at Gourmet Glatt?
I know that sea bass is expensive, but come on...

momofqts

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 5:46 pm
That's the price...

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 5:54 pm
Toothfish are expensive, they have to be transported from So. American. If you are lucky you are getting real sea bass for that price.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 5:59 pm
Thanks ladies Sad

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 6:11 pm
Something to consider is that many ecologically minded restaurants and fish stores no longer sell Chilean Sea Bass because it is endangered as it is "over fished".

Also as Magenta Yenta wrote, it is one of those fishes which are often counterfeited by substituting less expensive fishes. When they have done undercover investigations using DNA testing, a high percentage of fish being sold as sea bass was not any form of sea bass.

centurion

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 6:46 pm
Halibut is a tasty white fleshed fish that also has a fatty/ buttery consistency. I often use it as a substitute in sea bass recipes.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 7:17 pm
Thanks for the info all

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 7:23 pm
A word of caution if you sub halibut: it is a similar firm white fleshed fish but it dries out more readily than sea bass and therefore you want to make sure you don't overcook or you will wind up with dry sawdust. Sea bass is more forgiving but halibut is delicious if cooked properly.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 7:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
A word of caution if you sub halibut: it is a similar firm white fleshed fish but it dries out more readily than sea bass and therefore you want to make sure you don't overcook or you will wind up with dry sawdust. Sea bass is more forgiving but halibut is delicious if cooked properly.

I know, thanks. Halibut is very lean compared to Chilean sea bass.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:03 pm
FYI, the fish monger was cheaper.

egam

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:13 pm
For the next time check Shoprite. I believe one on McDonald ave used to have kosher fish dept. I haven't live in Brooklyn for years. I bought Chilean sea bass in Shoprite of Paramus for $16.99 as opposed to $29 in kosher stores before Shavues.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 1:55 pm
Thanks for the info, I will check it out for sure!
I end up purchasing the sea bass for $19.99 so I think I did ok. 3 pieces so wasn't too bad.

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 2:15 pm
Sea bream or snapper are other alternatives kinder to the budget and ecology. Also the whole fish is cheaper than fillets.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries