Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
HELP! not much time left...Potty training

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 2:36 pm
I really really desperately need help and advice!
My DS is 3 and half years old and is going to pre school next year that requires that he's potty trained. We have tried training him when he was 3 but he was completely uninterested and we gave up. This past month we have been trying again abd we cannoit and will not give up because in a month + he needs to be trained!
Every day wehn he comes home we take off the diaper (1 pm) and we go to the bathroom. I have lots of treats that we give when he makes in teh toilet, we have a chart on the fridge - we put a sticker on it when he makes...I'm very encouraging and supportive. When he has accidesnts (all day!) we say it was a mistake and we will try harder next time BUT there's NO improvement whatsoever! I'm starting to go crazy Sad
He has never- not once- asked to go to the bathroom. He goes when I remind him (constantly) *and half the time he doenst make in the toilet but two mintutes later on the flooe ! It;s becoming devastating fro me and I'm sure it is for him as well!

What do I do???
Any tips? advice?
Are there kids who simply can't feel when they need to go ? How do I get him to be trained in the next month? Next school year he cannot have accidesnt Sad He needs to be used to goign alone from 8-1 pm every day. I don't see it hapenning! Is there hope?

(btw we have a stoll for him and a seat that he feels comfortable with).

Please give me any method, advice etc that you can think of!

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 2:45 pm
How critical is it that he attend this specific kindergarten? Honestly, he doesn't sound ready yet.

SplitPea

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 2:47 pm
You need to take diapers away completely. Google potty training in 3 days.

Take a long weekend STAY HOME. Have him completely bottomless. Drink LOTS of juice/water/any liquid you can get down him.
Don't take your eyes off him. Don't leave the house. Just have an entire 3 days devoted to potty training.

When he makes make a HUGE deal about it. Sing dance make yourself as silly and happy about it as possible.

When he has an accident have HIM clean it up.

Tell him no more diapers at all. He is a big boy and needs to use the potty like a big boy. Don't give any fall back.

innovative mom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 2:51 pm
Yes there is hope. I was in a similar situation. My DS was 3.5 When I tried to train him. On day 1 he made it to the bathroom a couple of times and thought he got the hang of it. But that was it, day 2,3,4 and five were a disaster. so I stopped trying. About a month later, I took off his pamper and literally had to fight with him that he will not be getting underpants or pants until he's made in the toilet and is clean and dry for the day. Thank Goodness, he trained himself in a day!

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:01 pm
What splitpea said, no diaper during waking hours at all!
I just trained my 3 year old, I was planning on keeping him home three days without pants on. I gave him LOTS of apple juice and took him to the bathroom every half-hour. He was so excited when he made a splash. To keep him on the toilet long enough for #2, I read lots of books, then showed him all the pictures on the iPad. It took him two days. This was from nothing beforehand.
Every time he made, he got chocolate chips. Every time he sat for long enough, he got chocolate chips. When he actually made #2 he got a cheap prize. I tried taking his diaper off at night after a week, and it worked!
I was so unsure on potty training a boy that I kept pushing it off. (He has 2 big sisters)
I feel the big things are:
Consistency
Apple juice (or any sweet drink that makes him successful more often)
Rewards. (Chocolate chips and lots of cheering and compliments. We even called Bubby to tell her!)

alittlebirdie

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:14 pm
Confusing the kid to have diaper till 1. Did you ever hear of the book "toilet training in a day"

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:41 pm
Thanks everyone for replying- I appreciate it SO much!

The problem is that he's completely stressed out about making in playgroup (that he's in until 1 pm daily, for another two weeks ). I think part of it is that he doesn't have his stool etc there. Should I wait another two weeks and then have a month to train him?

The cheering and prizes part I think we do well- I SO hope that once we take off his diaper completely things will work out!
Is there anyhibg I can do in the meantime? Until he's off gan?

alittlebirdie

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 3:56 pm
Wait till your ready 100 percent and then take off the diaper all the way. Your confusing him in the meantime

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 4:05 pm
alittlebirdie wrote:
Confusing the kid to have diaper till 1. Did you ever hear of the book "toilet training in a day"

I actually watched a video of a person dlong it - I feel like my son is way too old and smart for this. He knows what it all means he just doesn't know how tell when he needs to make (I tjink). He isn't scared at all of making, he knows the rituals, prizes and what happens when he has an accident ...

SplitPea

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 4:06 pm
Either wait till he is done with fan or keep him home a Friday and a Monday and just DO it. The diapers on and off just make it take MUCH much longer

amother wrote:
Thanks everyone for replying- I appreciate it SO much!

The problem is that he's completely stressed out about making in playgroup (that he's in until 1 pm daily, for another two weeks ). I think part of it is that he doesn't have his stool etc there. Should I wait another two weeks and then have a month to train him?

The cheering and prizes part I think we do well- I SO hope that once we take off his diaper completely things will work out!
Is there anyhibg I can do in the meantime? Until he's off gan?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 4:07 pm
I'd wait till after Gan. At his age it'll go quick. There's no need to cause a preschooler stress. When he's home and relaxed, it should be easier.
Ask him his opinion. Have you had tzitzis discussions?
Ds asked his tatty if he wears tzitzis because he makes in the toilet.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 4:22 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I'd wait till after Gan. At his age it'll go quick. There's no need to cause a preschooler stress. When he's home and relaxed, it should be easier.
Ask him his opinion. Have you had tzitzis discussions?
Ds asked his tatty if he wears tzitzis because he makes in the toilet.

I like the idea of asking him!

He's been wearing tzizit since his 3rd birthday- they make a big deal out of it in GAn and he loves it.

I guess I'll probably wait until gan is over and prayyyy that he gets it quickly then.
I can keep him home in the weekend- might try it this weekend and see how it goes. We have done this over Shabbos last week (NO diaper) but it was really bad - accidents ALL day.

Btw- when we do it, what about night time? Does he wear a diaper ?
Because I find that he doesn't manage to do #2 in the toilet ( though he honestly tries!) and then at night when he wears a diaper he makes it!

And thanks again so much for posting - this is so reassuring and comforting!

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 5:10 am
I had a week of soiled underwear, even 3 times a day, but he got it. I heard from an expert that 50% success by a week is considered good. It took us a week total.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics