Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help! 5 mo won't sleep!

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:52 pm
I'm at my wits end. My 5 month old baby won't go to sleep. Like ever. Well, that's not quite true. He actually sleeps through the night, but getting him to sleep is the trouble.

And he doesn't nap. What baby doesn't nap?! But he has nice long feedings that he kind of cat naps through and every time I try to put him down for a nap afterwards it doesn't work. His eyes pop wide open and he won't settle down.

This is a relatively new thing. He used to nap albeit not on any particular schedule. Now nothing works - not nursing to sleep, not being walked in the fresh air, not soothing music. I don't know what else to try.

And the poor kid is obviously tired. He rubs his eyes and he's grumpier than he used to be. But he won't sleep. I can't figure it out!

Right now he's screaming in his crib because he just won't settle down and he needs to go to sleep already. Nothing seems to help. I'm really at my wits end.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:58 pm
Feel his gums and check for new teeth coming in. That's always the first thing to look for.

Does he rub or pull on his ears? It might be a minor ear infection that bothers him when he's laying down, but not when sitting up. (This is not a sure sign. DD never touched her ears, but still had ear infections. Only the doctor could find them.)

It could also be a big growth spurt, where his sleep cycles are going to change for a bit before he settles into a new pattern.

He should be due for a 6 month checkup soon, right? Make sure you ask your ped to check everything out, just to make sure, and tell him about the sleep issues. I'm sure everything is normal, but it will make you feel better to ask anyway.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:03 pm
He had his 5 mo checkup last week and everything was fine. The pediatrician checked his gums and said she didn't see anything but he could still be teething.

Iamamother2

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:07 pm
I would take him to the doctor. Doesn't hurt to ask. It sounds like something may be bothering him. Could be an ear infection, teething etc.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:15 pm
He's overtired. Poor baby. I just had the same thing with my baby. Then I learnt a little secret. The better the baby naps in the day the better he will sleep the night. get hold of the book a baby's wisperer- it's a life changer.
Anon because I tell this to everyone I see so I don't wanna give away sn
Good luck

ThankYouHashem

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 12:50 am
Are u drinking caffeine and nursing? It could make a very tierd baby very irritable. They are exhausted, want to fall asleep, but are pumped on caffeine. If its a possibility, try cutting out ur morning coffee and see if u see any change. Good luck!

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 7:46 am
No caffeine. I'm not a coffee drinker.

He went to sleep after nursing again last night after I posted and is still asleep now.

How do I get him to nap today?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics