Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to clean an oven without chemicals?

smmsm

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 8:45 pm
How can I clean my fleishig greesy oven without the use of chemicals like easy off.....
Thanks!

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 9:17 pm
You won't like this, so I'll give it a fancy name: "mechanical means" aka "the sweat of your brow". Scouring powder or soap applied to the oven's surfaces by means of steel wool in your two hands encased in sturdy rubber or nitrile utility gloves. Most ovens warn against using steel wool or other abrasives because these will scratch the surface and make the oven even harder to clean next time, as byproducts of cooking get caught in the scratches. You can start off using Bon Ami, Soft Scrub or a nylon scrubbie pad that is nonabrasive, and this may work if the oven is in good shape and the surface is not already scratched. Baking soda can be used as a scratch-free scouring powder, again only if the oven is not in too bad shape.

You can make the job easier by working on an oven that is just a little warm--not to the point of yad soledet bo--which will soften the grease somewhat. You can also soften grease by plugging up the ventilation holes in the oven, placing a dish of plain ammonia in the oven and letting it sit there overnight. Don't do this if you have young children around.

After scrubbing to your satisfaction, you must rinse, rinse, rinse with clear water to get rid of the soap or scouring powder residue.

Unplug the stove before you begin

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 9:35 pm
There are some products out there that work and are natural like scour off by shaklee and the like.

Esther23

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 10:09 pm
Like ra mom wrote, Shaklee's "scour off" is good and without chemicals.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 10:20 pm
Clorox2 works wonders.

shooting star

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 10:23 pm
I have a self clean oven but I don't like running the clean cycle on a dirty oven so I clean it first. I can get it mostly clean by pouring boiling water on the dirty areas and then just scrub it.

I've found the boiling water is the only thing that gets the glass door clean. It also helps if it's done regularly so the dirt doesn't build up.

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 10:36 pm
before pesach I ran out of oven cleaner and used a mix of baking soda, vinegar and hot water. I made it in to a thick paste and spread on then rubbed. It really worked!

juggling

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 3:42 am
Baking soda works great for the burnt-on stuff. Mix with dish soap if you need to cut grease. I was amazed at how well rubbing with a baking soda paste got off spots that I thought would never come off

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 4:05 am
another recommendation for baking soda. Sprinkle generously on floor of oven, pour some hot water over it (as another poster said be sure you have unplugged it beforehand!), let sit a few minutes, then scrub all over the oven with it, it works very well.

granolamom

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 8:44 pm
pour baking soda all over the oven, pour some vinegar and/or peroxide on the baking soda. let it foam and bubble and all that. spread it all around. leave it over night, or at least a few hours. scrub.

I never tried adding dish soap, that's a good idea, Juggling!

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 7:48 am
Esther23 wrote:
Like ra mom wrote, Shaklee's "scour off" is good and without chemicals.

Everything is made of chemicals, including us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry