Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Possible vaccine effect - any way to reverse it?

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:38 pm
Maybe I should have posted this in natural parenting but whatever. My 2 1/2 year old got a pediarix shot about three weeks ago. It could easily be a coincidence because she didn't have any apparent reaction and she has been fine most of the time, but since then she seems to get sad a lot more easily. It's hard to explain, it's like she used to be very good natured and easy going, and she's still good natured most of the time but whenever the slightest thing goes wrong it's instant tears. Every little thing is a booboo, any insult as well. It's possible it's just her age or a phase she's going through, could be off because of changes in schedule with summer vacation, and it's possible she's been fighting off some germ or something unrelated to the vaccine, but something is niggling at me that it seems to be about the same amount of time this is going on as the amount of time since the shot. I don't remember a specific turning point, it just seems to me that it was about the same time frame.

Just in case this is related to the vaccine, is there anything that could help her get back to normal? It's so sad, she is most of the time such a happy toddler but the second anything goes wrong she has zero coping ability at all. It's weird. I don't remember her being like this before, not sure if she had better coping ability or just that things didn't bother her in the first place.

Sadie

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:38 pm
It really sounds like very very normal 2 and a half year old behavior. About a month is enough time for a new developmental phase to become apparent. Please don't worry too much.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:42 pm
If It's the vaccine it's probably the heavy metals. Try a detox program. Start by taking heavy metal test

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:50 pm
It may be normal 2-year-old behavior in general but I know my kid and she never used to fly off the handle at every little thing. To get sad and frustrated and all kinds of feelings, sure. Tantrums yes, occasionally. But these insta-tears are something new to me. Goes straight from doing fine, perfectly happy, and in an instant bawling her head off. Last few days have been way off schedule, different places, late bedtimes, but as I said it's been going on just about 3 weeks, same time as the shots. She also almost totally dropped her nap around the same time, which theoretically explains the moods but why did she choose right then to drop the nap? She goes in willingly, but is too restless to fall asleep even though she appears VERY tired before.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:50 pm
Sadie wrote:
It really sounds like very very normal 2 and a half year old behavior. About a month is enough time for a new developmental phase to become apparent. Please don't worry too much.

I agree. Summer is hard on everyone. Keep her extra hydrated, and give her lots of healthy fruits and veggies, and some lean protein. Stay away from junk food, processed sugar and flour.

If her behavior is related to the vaccine (and I sincerely doubt this), a healthy diet and lots of water will boost her immune system and help her process it.

anonymrs

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 12:00 am
OP, I will say that I have serious behavioral changes with my kids after shots. Many (as you see here) will disagree, certainly doctors. Do feel validated that it can and does happen for some kids. I wish I would have an answer for you. I'm dealing with this right now. My kids got shots last Friday and we are having this now. So sorry for you:(

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 1:13 am
Sometimes MAYBE a mother will dread the shots, get them anyway because they save lives, and the kid is reacting to ... the mother's dread? Kids can read their parents' moods. If you are thinking "I am risking my kid with this white coated stranger who has pointy things with weird stuff in them" that might get through to the child.

I would keep an eye on it and report it if it's still this way in two weeks.

Listen to Frantic Frummie.

You say there have been a lot of disruptions. Don't forget that before the recent disruptions there was your anticipation of them coming. The child read the anticipation before the disruptions ever happened.

Just a thought.

Yes it would be normal for an ill and hurting child to have behavior upsets. The vaccinated child is a little bit ill. So he or she doesn't get the actual disease. This is the unfortunate price that must be paid for surviving. It will pass in a few days and is worth it. In summer, a few extra days more.

Hydrate, hydrate. Cool moist wrung-out cloths.

cookiejar

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 4:54 am
kids go through behavioral changes all the time. my 3 yr old was easy, now he is a kvetch. my 5 yr old was off the wall, now he is a dream. I think it is WAY off base to try to pin this on a shot a few weeks ago, when the change is TYPICAL. if you said she got blue hair since the shot, OK. but just that she changed behaviorally?? she will. she will continue to change. she will get worse, she will get better, and one day she will be the person that she has finally become. don't overthink.

sped

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 5:03 am
My 2 1/2 yo is going through a very similar stage, without having a vaccine. She also was easy going, dealt with things beautifully, usually happy, etc.
Now - everything is a tantrum, whether or not I can see why, something doesn't go just right, the world ends; she doesn't get what she wants, hold your ears, etc.
Unlike what I thought before I had kids, the terrible 2's often comes all of a sudden, not gradually.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 5:03 am
Vaccines are a convenient victim. But always look at the whole picture. Schedule, changes, development, diet, any type of stress. These bring out the difficulties in children (and adults). Try to give routine, love and good nutrition. After that, start blaming other things.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 7:18 am
Hugs, it's hard to have your little girl be so sad and sensitive.

Here's a strategy that works for most kids of any age, to (you should pardon the expression) innoculate them against the doldrums.

You are her most important resource. Use that asset. Make sure she gets hugs and kisses, and most important, an overjoyed smile when she wakes up, and whenever you see her again. Catch her at lots of times when she is not crying and sensitive, and give her extra attention and praise. Try to give her 10-15 minutes minimum of undivided playtime attention, where you are only appreciating, not instructing or criticising. When you can, praise her for any area of growth -- she stopped crying one second earlier than with yesterday's owie, she's so brave.

When you have done that for a week or two, and she is getting TONS of positive attention from you for most of the time, start withdrawing attention when she comes crying over some little something. Obviously, you give wounds a cleaning and band aid, but otherwise, after a quick initial reassuring, you casually say, "when you are done being sad, I will play with you more," and turn away. The second she stops, give her immediate, enthusiastic, positive attention again.

This strategy only works if she is getting the attention enough to miss it when it stops.

If she sees that the best way to get your attention is through smiles rather than tears, the tears are more likely to diminish.

It may even be that the vaccination caused the behavior in a different way than you meant. Maybe, she got lots of attention for her tears at the time of, and immediately following the shot, and she is a smart cookie.

But regardless of whether the trigger was inside or outside, using your positive attention, and eventually, withdrawing it during undesired behavior, should help you get your smiley little girl back.

Hatzlacha!

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 7:33 am
If she just started a new day camp or babysitter for the summer, maybe ask her morah how she behaves, if the other children are being nice to her, etc.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 9:02 am
Do not ignore your instincts. It could be that she did not process the vaccine very well (be it the metals or the virus). I agree with the above poster who suggested to do a detox program. Hatzlocha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics