Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Getting Braces as an adult ?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 2:59 am
Hi
I had my teeth done as a teenager in the UK but they moved... alot! I find it so embarrassing, it looks totally neglected. Anyone had this? Bad orthodontist or what?

I really want to get them redone, but I'm in Israel now. Does anyone know - Would insurance here pay for it?? What about in the UK? If Israeli insurance doesn't cover it, how much would it cost me here? And could I do invisalign so noone sees it?

Any info or advice would be really appreiciated.

mille

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 7:05 am
Invisalign is not invisible, just so you know! It looks like a retainer. It's not immediately obvious, but some might notice. You also have to take them out whenever you eat, including on shabbos, you really can't eat with them in. So if you're out for a shabbos meal, you'll have to discreetly take them out if you don't want anyone to know.

Obviously it's a less apparent choice than traditional braces, but just something to keep in mind. Not sure on cost because I only know how much it costs in the US. You might want to go to an orthodontic consultation, though, as some teeth configurations don't work with invisalign.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:02 am
I just got braces again at age 41 because of horrible pain whenever I yawn. I've had jaw surgery and braces before, but I've developed TMJ since then. My cost is $3500 in the US (Cleveland) and am paying $4800 over 48 months with interest--- $100 bucks a month for 4 years so I can yawn without pain. Don't know if you want to come to the US, but there's my number for you. insurance (at least mine!) doesn't cover it.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 11:03 am
ps- for me invisalign would have been more expensive. I'm 41 and a metal mouth again.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 7:15 am
I think it would cost you between £2000 and £3000 in the UK. I presume invisalign would be more costly though.

alittlebirdie

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 7:18 am
Israeli insurance doesn't cover braces. Ccan cost anywhere from 6000shk and up

tigerwife

Post Fri, Jul 17 2015, 8:47 am
Your jaw changes between the ages of around 18-24, so many people who always had 'perfect teeth' might find themselves with crooked teeth in their mid twenties. Definitely get a quote. IME dental procedures are much cheaper in Israel versus the U.S. (Without dental insurance). Maybe orthodontics is the same. Also, calculating the per- month cost, like TwinsMommy did, will help you deal with the expense more realistically. $100 a month sounds easier than a lump sum of $4,000.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 9:32 am
thanks for responding!

I'll get a quote iy"H. 6000 shekel sounds like so much!! not sure I can do that... Sad don't know if it's worth it.. but I do want to do it..

another question - can you go to mikva with metal in your mouth??

WastingTime

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 9:42 am
contact the Rechavia Dental Center if you are in the Jlm area . They have many options available. Very professional www.rechaviadental.co.il

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 2:02 pm
No chatzitzah for mikvah.... Just brush and floss well and remove anything removable like rubber bands. Ask your LOR of course but if you want a psak from a fellow imamother.... Smile

shev

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 2:07 pm
I actually looked into it at one point.
I called up a few orthodontists, they didn't really want to give me numbers over the phone. I asked about invisilign and the quotes I got were really high. They started at least at 10,000 shekel. Metal braces are a few thousand cheaper though. But, you would really have to go to a orthodontist to get a real estimate. Every person cost a different amount, it depends on how bad you're teeth are.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics