Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Swollen Ear

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 3:11 pm
My 11-month-old's ear was swollen to about 3 times its normal size, starting yesterday afternoon and getting worse through this morning. It was sticking out like a monkey! I took him to the pediatrician this morning, and he said it looks like an insect bite and gave me a prescription for an antihistamine. He said to come back if he develops a fever or stops behaving normally. I didn't actually give my son the medicine, but Baruch Hashem, it's already looking better.

So here's my question: If such a thing happens again (and it's not after falling or eating something strange or whatever), can/should I give him those drops myself? Can it be that the swelling is necessary for some reason, meaning making the swelling go down artificially will be problematic for the body? Or it will make us miss something important? Or, on the flip side, can prolonged swelling (obviously not of the throat) itself be dangerous, as opposed to just uncomfortable? My husband and I in general are very anti-medicine, so that's why I guess I really want to know if there is ever a case when it is necessary. (I guess this question goes for fever as well- in that case, I think they say you do need to bring it down with a bath and/or medicine, right?)

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 4:37 pm
my 9 year old son once got bitten & ear swelled up; my daughter put on raw honey & it worked like a charm

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 6:54 pm
Swelling of the ear can be the sign of a potentially extremely serious condition that requires surgery to prevent deafness. My great aunt a"h had that surgery when she was a child, so if it worsens and/or the child develops fever, please go back to the pediatrician.

Also, antihistamines are some of the safest medicines out there. Chances are if your child's ear is swollen: s/he is uncomfortable. Please follow the doctors advice if you that the child is restless, and again, if it worsens please go back to the doctor.

Refuah Shalaima!

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 7:26 pm
The swelling was caused by a local allergic reaction to the bite. Likely not dangerous not to give the benadryl but very uncomfortable.

In terms of fever, very high (or sudden spikes) in fepver can lead to febrile seizures which you obviously want to avoid. Also, if the fever is making the child so uncomfortable that they won't eat/drink then you run the risk of dehydration.

downsyndrome

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 8:42 pm
Make sure that it is, in fact, a bite, and not something else. Like another poster wrote, this could indicate a potentially dangerous situation with the inner ear and bone. My doctor just described this condition - doctors call it 'Mickey Mouse ears' and it is an indication of a dangerous infection affecting the bone and requiring almost immediate surgery.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics