Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Help us decide where to go in Israel

EnEf

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 1:45 pm
We were living in Israel for the past few years and moved back to where we came from a few months ago. We see how much we're missing Israel and are looking into the possibility of moving back but not to Jerusalem, where we were before. We were living in a very American neighborhood and my kids were going to a regular Israeli cheder.

We are looking for a similar neighborhood outside of Jerusalem (kind of like Givat Zev). What places are there that have Yeshivish-type English speakers with a Beis Yaakov and regular cheder that has a lot of American's going there? Is there a neighborhood and schools like that in Ramat Beit Shemesh?

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 1:47 pm
there are many americans in ramat beit shemesh. There are many cheders and bais yaacov's. there are some cheders that are more american than others and the bais yaacov's have many english speakers in each class.

EnEf

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 2:06 pm
Thanks.

Are any of them similar to the israeli chadarim?

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 2:11 pm
what exactly do u mean by that? they are all israeli chadarim with americans who go there. there is actually a more american run cheder, with american principal I hear.

EnEf

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 2:14 pm
I meant Yerushalayim chadarim?

WastingTime

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 2:16 pm
IN RBS the chadarim are Israeli chadarim for all intents and purposes, except that there cn be many to mostly kids from English speaking homes. In my kids' classes ( I have in 2 different cheders) they have about 25 English speakers, and 5 Israelis, BUT they only talk in Hebrew in cheder, also at recess. Meaning it doesn't really have a chutznik feel. I was afraid when we moved here my kids would never learn Hebrew properly but they seem to often prefer it at home too.
There are places that are more "American schools". Whats nice about RBS is there really are many cheder options--basically something for everyone.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 2:19 pm
4sons wrote:
IN RBS the chadarim are Israeli chadarim for all intents and purposes, except that there cn be many to mostly kids from English speaking homes. In my kids' classes ( I have in 2 different cheders) they have about 25 English speakers, and 5 Israelis, BUT they only talk in Hebrew in cheder, also at recess. Meaning it doesn't really have a chutznik feel. I was afraid when we moved here my kids would never learn Hebrew properly but they seem to often prefer it at home too.
There are places that are more "American schools". Whats nice about RBS is there really are many cheder options--basically something for everyone.

yes I agree. but don't know if I would say in all cheders there do most of the class speak english. some have more israeli kids and some have many americans. but for all purposes it is like yerushalayim cheders and they only talk hebrew and learn the same way.

EnEf

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:10 pm
OP here - Can you tell me the names of some chadarim like that - only speak hebrew and learn like regular Israeli cheders but many kids are from American families? What neighborhoods do many families that send their kids there live in? What are the differences between these chadarim?

thanks so much! My kids are really little still but they really want to move back and if it works out I want them to go back to a similar situation we had when we first lived in Yerushalayim.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:16 pm
Ask me about Gizat Ze'ev

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:17 pm
There are many Israeli charedi cheders that have some Americans or other Anglos. There are also. Many Israeli cheders in RBSA that don't accept Anglos at all.

The problem is getting in any school It's kind of late to try to get into school now for next year.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 3:30 pm
There are many chadarim here that fit your criteria. Is there something else specific your looking in a cheder? and remember the chadarim are very packed here so you won't necessarily get into the one you want. just a side note...

EnEf

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 4:16 pm
We would stay here this year and arrange to move in time for next school year so hopefully that would give us time to get into cheder. The cheder my kids were in was a standard litvish cheder but the rabaim were warm, especially the younger grades. Most of the Rabaim don't speak any english but most of the kids come from English speaking homes, to the point that they have a chug in the younger grades to teach Hebrew to the kids who need it. (We don't need this level of Americans but I want to make sure my kids will fit in.) However the cheder was very mainstream. I'm looking for something similar, especially with the warmth. I also want to make sure to live in the neighborhood where most of the kids in the cheder go to.

I'm also very interested in Givat Ze'ev. It sounds perfect for us except that I'm scared there won't be very many Americans and that I won't have friends or neighbors I can relate to. Are there a good amount of Americans (doesn't need to be tonz) and will my kids feel out of place?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions