Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
ISO creamless peanut butter chocolate pie

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 8:58 pm
I'm living far from a Jewish community where there is no non-dairy cream available. It's my daughter's 4th birthday and she told me she wants a pie not a cake, with sparkly sprinkles Smile I really want to make her something with peanut butter and chocolate, but all the recipes online require some sort of cream.

Looking for a pareve recipe that does not call for non-dairy cream. Open to alternatives to peanut butter and chocolate (we do have custard).

Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 8:59 pm
Do you have access to full fat canned coconut milk? You can whip that up into a cream.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 9:01 pm
Silken tofu makes great mousse

agreer

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 9:08 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Do you have access to full fat canned coconut milk? You can whip that up into a cream.

I tried this recently and it did NOT work.

Therefore, I highly suggest whipping it into cream before proceeding with the rest of the recipe, just in case it doesn't work, so you aren't stuck.

WriterMom

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 9:16 pm
What are you hoping to make? A PB mousse using silken tofu instead of cream cheese would be great. You could top it with chocolate melted with a bit of oil, instead of butter, and poured on top.

I have a fantastic recipe for a chocolate PB tart that I could post, with modifications for parve. It's a PB cookie crust, identical to peanut butter cookies but made into one large tart bottom; then top with PB mousse (PB, whipping cream, vanilla and sugar, but silken tofu would work too) and then you melt chocolate with a bit of butter (or oil) and then pour over the chilled mousse, so it forms a thin hard layer. It's fantastic, one of my family's fave desserts, and the parve version works pretty well too. It's from Rose Levy Beranbaum's cookbook.

seeker

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 9:59 pm
agreer wrote:
I tried this recently and it did NOT work.

Therefore, I highly suggest whipping it into cream before proceeding with the rest of the recipe, just in case it doesn't work, so you aren't stuck.

Did you strain out the watery part first?

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 10:07 pm
What about using toffuti parve sour cream? No idea if that works?

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Jul 16 2015, 10:09 pm
Writer Mom thanks I'd be interested in hearing about that recipe. I also need to add that we just moved and I don't have a hand blender or even a manual whisker at my disposal. I have a fork though....... If there are no PB chocolate pie recipes that don't involve whipping something, I'd be open to hearing about using other ingredients. The simpler the better. Many thanks!

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 6:29 am
I also have not managed to whip coconut cream. I asked at the health food store if they had something that would whip and they gave me Chaokoh Coconut Cream in a carton (like the one that long-life milk comes in). What came out of it was all thick and white (unlike cans of coconut cream which have only a bit of dense white and a lot of pale watery) but I couldn't get it to whip. I had it chilled very cold.

Would dumping it into a bowl and letting it separate further before whipping help? Should I freeze it? Fridge it? For how long? I've got a second container I haven't tried yet.

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 7:44 am
How about making her peanut chews, rice krispies, peanut butter, karo syrup, sugar, topped with melted chocolate and make it in the shape of a pie.

Or peanut butter balls, I think it's peanut butter, marshmallow fluff, and rice krispies, rolled into balls, then you dip in melted chocolate and whatever toppings you may want.

I can give you either recipe if you want. Sometimes it's the presentation, if you put it on a nice dish and stick in candles then it looks birthdayish even though it's not a cake.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 8:09 am
Get pareve vanilla or pb ice cream. Soften it and spread into a pie crust. Stir in whatever you want and sprinkle your topping on top. Re freeze.
Can you get reddi whip?

5*Mom

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 8:27 am
WriterMom wrote:
What are you hoping to make? A PB mousse using silken tofu instead of cream cheese would be great. You could top it with chocolate melted with a bit of oil, instead of butter, and poured on top.

I have a fantastic recipe for a chocolate PB tart that I could post, with modifications for parve. It's a PB cookie crust, identical to peanut butter cookies but made into one large tart bottom; then top with PB mousse (PB, whipping cream, vanilla and sugar, but silken tofu would work too) and then you melt chocolate with a bit of butter (or oil) and then pour over the chilled mousse, so it forms a thin hard layer. It's fantastic, one of my family's fave desserts, and the parve version works pretty well too. It's from Rose Levy Beranbaum's cookbook.

Please, please, PLEASE post this recipe! Smile

daagahminayin

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 6:36 pm
This is the recipe I ended up cooking btw. It came out pretty good. Thanks to everyone who posted recipes:

http://www.bakeorbreak.com/201.....ling/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics