Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Rusty cutlery from dishwasher

smile

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 4:32 am
My cutlery keep on getting rusty from my dishwasher.
How can I prevent it from happening and how can I clean the ones which are already rusty. I would prefer a solution which doesn't involve buying some chemical stuff.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 9:54 am
Cutlery rusting I would think is due to it staying wet too long. Does your dishwasher not dry well? Or are you leaving things it there wet a long time until it gets full enough to run a load?

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 5:14 pm
Are you sure it's rust and not mineral deposits or microbial growth? Both can happen if you leave items sitting around wet for a long time. Scour the gunk off with steel wool and don't leave your flatware lying around wet.
Actual rust? Ditch your flatware and buy GOOD QUALITY stainless. Dishwasher detergent is highly corrosive, and low-quality stainless will react. High-quality will not. If you can't afford to ditch yours, scour away the rust with steel wool, and wash it and dry it by hand from now on.

hinenimuchan

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 1:32 am
Does it have silver in it, or is it touching any silver in the dishwasher? Stainless and silver do not mix in the dishwasher, and can cause the stainless to rust.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry