Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anyone have a sensory room for spd or asd kid?

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 2:00 pm
I would like to make one for 5 yr old dd, but buying things like crash pads, ball pits and weighted blankets isn't really an option. Totally out of the budget.

Anyone make their own sensory room on a tight budget?

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 2:28 pm
I have definitely seen blog posts about these things and keep wanting to try some one of these days. Unfortunately I have not gotten around to it myself but definitely google and pick up some ideas. I have seen instructions for DIY weighted blankets for sure. Can a crash pad just be any mattress or bean bag? I have seen tips like using a big box from an appliance, paint the inside black, and various ideas for interesting lighting in there... definitely seen DIY swing/hammocks but you might need to be a little handy for that.

I don't actually have room to make a room, so for now I have sensory containers... container of sand, container of rice, container of putty... and a little trampoline. That's all.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 2:35 pm
I haven't made one, but my son goes to OT at a sensory "room" once a week. The OT has:

-a hanging hook that can support a hammock and a spinning board. I'm guessing that you don't need a specialized hammock. My friend bought a hanging hammock for her playroom and I see them on the web for a little over $100 [EDIT: I see the hook kits for $11 on the web. But like the previous poster said, you need to be handy.]
-lots of large bouncing balls that you can sit on (they sell them for exercise, not too expensive, maybe $40)
-a climbing wall (I never looked into how much this costs but I would discourage you from putting one in because it's dangerous
-big cushions that look like couch cushions, only larger. For this I'm guessing you can find old couches when people throw them out at curbs, and take the cushions. This could be the "crash pad" (free).

I would also suggest putting in a real couch so that the kids can jump off of it and use it for a launch pad.

I can't think of any other large items that she uses. Great sensory items that are smaller are: play dough, modeling clay, and tools for those; bubbles, paints and papers on easels, small toys like Hungry Hippo that require coordination (My son is in OT for a sensory issue but it's not a typical sensory issue; it's more of a lack of coordination issue).

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 9:18 pm
Thanks for the ideas.
I had a pac and play and lots of ball pit balls, so I've turned that into a ball pit. I also set up a pop up tent and filled it with pillows. I have play dough, I made gak, and I have a bunch of fidgets.

This is a start, but I really need a swing and crash pad, body sock and weighted blanket. I'll look up diy ones, but I really have a very tight budget.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 9:34 pm
Maybe look on You Tube for videos called "How to make a ..... " meaning, whatever thing you need. And eHow and google.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 9:42 pm
Try Pinterest.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 10:07 pm
I do. I call it "my house". LOL

When DD was younger, I had to child proof everything like crazy, because anything and everything could be labeled a "sensory toy".

Weighted blankets are worth their weight in gold (pardon the pun), and I would buy one first if I were you. Etsy has several sellers that will make them for you with any fabric you want, in any weight or size. They are generally cheaper than the ones that specialty sites sell for, and you get to pick exactly what you want.

DD picked out super plushy soft on one side, and cool, smooth cotton for the other side, so she could switch around as needed.

Look for a Facebook group in your area for SN kids and parents, and see if they have any equipment that their kids are outgrowing. You might be able to get them free or cheap.

Pinterest has tons of amazing DIY ideas for sensory kids.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:04 pm
Love the idea of finding other parents whose kids may have outgrown their things. I tried searching fb, but didn't find any groups like that for my area... I'll search again.

I've looked at Craig's list and didn't see anything.

I love pinterest. I actually did make dd a super easy weighted blanket from pintetest. It helped her a ton. The problem was that it wasn't all soft and plushy, even though I tried my best to make it more cozy, so she wouldn't use it enough.

Ikea has the eekore swings for around $40 now. I may need to just get it...

There should be a used therapy equipment store online like Amazon.

SplitPea

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:11 pm
We have a 7 foot trampoline, ball pit, sensory swing, tunnels, reading nest and a couple other random items (sensory table, yoga ball, sand box) yeah my house is a sensory gym!

Our trampoline was $150 on Amazon and worth ever penny.

Balls we got on sale and they go into a pack n play or the trampoline.

Sensory table is home made. It's a storage container made for under the bed. We fill with pasta, beans, rice toys and more and they play with it sitting at our kids table.

Our swings are attached in with ikea mounts and we use fabric for them from the discount section.

Our reading pod was from ikea

Yoga ball was my birthing ball from TJ max

Bouncy balls were Chanukah gifts.

Tunnle was from a thrift store

I think one of the big things is to slowly gather things. We started with the trampoline and went from there.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:15 pm
If there's a five below near you, they sell yoga balls for five dollars

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 11:20 pm
Split pea- can you explain the swing to me? Did you just buy fabric and make your own swing using the ikea mounts?

seeker

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 12:07 am
FF, do you remember which etsy seller you had success with? What did it cost?

Raisin

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 5:51 am
I don't know if it would work for you but we have an amazing garden hammock made from parachute silk.

http://www.tickettothemoon-uk......shtml

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 6:07 am
A hammock is made from strong fabric that won't rip easily. Hem the ends, then fold over to make a 5" or so deep hem at both ends. Thread a rope or chain through the hem. Attach hooks and hang it up!
My mother once found an old denim curtain at a thrift store that she made into a comfy hammock for the backyard.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 8:06 am
Wow. Love the ideas so far! Keep them coming!

Does anyone know where I could find cheap gym mats? Or what I could use as a cheaper alternative? DH thought I should contact schools or gyms and see if they are getting rid of any and would donate to a child with special needs. I'm a bit embarrassed, and also if they agreed, I'm worried about what condition they would be in, if they are getting rid of them. Would you ask? Do you think there is a shot?

bnm

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 7:17 pm
we have a trampoline and I want to get a swing to hang from the doorway. I made a home made sensory bin with rice but that got spilled at one point. Ikea sells tunnels and play tents, we have the playtent but I found it to be a waste of space in my Brooklyn apartment and the kids kept missusing it so I took it apart. I have a yoga mat that isn't thick but the kids like rolling around on it. A large ball is also on my wish list.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 7:43 pm
We got a hammock that holds up to 400 lb for $20. It was highly rated, and our son's therapist recommended it. He loves it! Instead of gym mats, perhaps you can use those foam "puzzle piece" mats people have in their kids' play rooms?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics