Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Headscarf for CA driver's license

Sadie

Post Tue, Jul 21 2015, 4:21 pm
Does anyone have experience wearing a scarf for a driver's license photo in CA? I know legally they have to let you but when I googled to find the actual law I just found a bunch of news stories about lawsuits. I want to be prepared, do they give you a hard time? Do they ask for a letter from a rabbi?
This would be in Northern California, either in Oakland Claremont or Corte Madera.

Sadie

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 3:32 pm
No one? All the California imamothers are sheital wearers? Maybe I should go ask on Ummahmother Smile

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jul 22 2015, 4:07 pm
I don't wear a headscarf but if it doesn't cover your face I can't imagine there would be an issue... Wasn't there a recent issue with a woman who wanted to take her photo wearing a niqab? Pretty hard for her religiously but I have to say I understand why it wasn't allowed!

Jewishmofm

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 12:46 am
I wore a snood for my license photo, nobody blinked an eye. I'm in SoCal though, so it may be a whole other story, even thouhg the mandated state laws are the same.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 1:31 am
In Washington state, they want you to pull back your scarf enough to show the front of your hair. What if you hold not to show a single strand, like me?
What do you do if you shave your head?

I didn't want to deal with the fuss, so I caved in and wore my old sheitel. No one batted an eye, even though I was sure it looked ratty and fake. I felt like a coward, and really wanted to wear my tichel, but at the end of the day I opted to just move through the line quickly and get out of there. Same thing for passport photos.

Sadie

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 2:37 am
FF, that's terrible that they have that rule. I do show some hair but the vast majority of women who need this exemption probably don't, so it kind of defeats the purpose of having an exemption in the first place Sad In any case, I don't own a sheital, even a ratty old one, so we'll see what happens tomorrow...
Jewishmofm, I'm glad to hear they didn't give you a hard time. The lawsuits I read about occurred because of incidents in SoCal. I just hope that they resulted in employees being made aware of the law because I'm a bit nervous.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 2:51 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
In Washington state, they want you to pull back your scarf enough to show the front of your hair. What if you hold not to show a single strand, like me?
What do you do if you shave your head?

I didn't want to deal with the fuss, so I caved in and wore my old sheitel. No one batted an eye, even though I was sure it looked ratty and fake. I felt like a coward, and really wanted to wear my tichel, but at the end of the day I opted to just move through the line quickly and get out of there. Same thing for passport photos.

My mother used to borrow a sheitel from a friend for the picture. But that was 20 years ago. Did they get strict again? She hasn't borrowed one recently as far as I know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels