Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What should I say?

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 11:47 am
I got a job a few months back. Very small job for an NGO. I did it mainly for the experience and not for the money.
I worked for a few months whilst pregnant. I gave birth and my life was to busy to put my a into this job.
my employee emailed me to say that someone else is taking over the bulk of the work and ill just help out. I was fine with this and happy that she was honest with me.

Then a few months later I seem to have been pushed out. I tried to contact my colleague to speak about my role and future plans, but she ignored my email.

I would be ok with being fired, but not ok with the lack of communication with regards to my position. I have gone from being hurt and feeling like to failure to being really annoyed at not being told what is going on.

I would like to write an email to my employer (ex employer?) Can anyone help?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 11:49 am
I'm not clear about one point. Have you gone back to work at all since the baby? And how many months has it been since you had the baby / worked there?

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 11:55 am
Sorry I wasn't so clear. I went back to work after about 5 months. I even met with my colleague a few times to plan. I did some work for them.
Then suddenly I was not contacted, I was not told about upcoming events etc.

PAMOM

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 1:20 pm
Why not meet with your employer directly to find out what's going on?

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 1:43 pm
Did they have other organizational changes and maybe the people who are now coordinating things are not familiar with you and your role? Do you have friends within the organization who might be able to clue you in on any political changes that might be relevant?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 1:43 pm
Certainly talk to your employer. If you were truly laid off then get a date certain from them so you can file unemployment.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 2:08 pm
Thank you all for the replies.
It's a bit complicated because my boss is also a family friend and it's just become so awkward when I see her around.
I feel like I let her down so they pushed me out slowly.
So I want to write an email saying basically
That I'm sorry I didn't perform. I understand if you want to fire me but please communicate with me since I don't know what's going on.

How do you say that politely?
I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 2:20 pm
Lose the sorry part. They are the ones who failed to communicate appropriately.
Something more along the lines of
"Hello. I have not heard from _____ for [time] and have not received replies to my emails/phone calls. Please let me know whether you continue to need my services in [company.]"

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 2:28 pm
Thank you seeker. I'm big on apologising even when I don't need to. But you are 100 percent right.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 2:50 pm
Dear Familyfriendwhoisalsomyboss:

I am s concerned about my role in Yourorganizationsname. In March of this year you informed me that Ms. Takingovermyjob would be handling the bulk of my assignments and that I would be called upon only to assist. Since then, I seem to have been taken out of the organizational loop entirely: I am not included in the email distributions or informed of upcoming events, nor did you respond to my email dated May 15, 2015, in which I asked about Yourorganizationsname's future plans and my role in them.

At this point I am unclear as to whether or not I am still employed at Yourorganizationsname. I acknowledge that my job performance declined after the birth of my child and regret that I cannot devote as much time and energy to the organization as I was able to do in the past. However, I believe in the organization and had no plans to quit my job. I would like to meet with you to clarify the job expectations and come to an agreement about how much I can do on an ongoing basis.

On the other hand, if you have terminated my employment because my work was not satisfactory, please send me a formal statement of dismissal so that I may file for unemployment insurance benefits. I understand that dismissing an employee is an unpleasant task, more so when that person is a family friend, but I have both the need and the right to know whether or not I still have a job.

Thank you for your consideration,
Yourname

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 3:00 pm
Thank you zaq, this is exactly what I need.

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 12 2015, 3:39 pm
Hatzlacha, hope it helps.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 10:23 pm
Do you live in the US? Because the law states that a boss cannot push out an employee for taking family leave, and should hold their position or one equal to it.

Also, never ever admit in a letter that you aren't working as hard as you should have been.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics