Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Help! Residential Psych Facility for 13-year old girl?

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 12:40 pm
I'm posting this on behalf of my MIL, and would be most grateful for any guidance. My sister-in-law (13) has been struggling with depression and other mental health issues for the past 9 months. She was hospitalized after a suicide attempt last November, and spent a week in a local adolescent psych. facility, which was very bad and may have made things worse. She's been under the care of a psychiatrist and therapist, and my in-laws are very involved in trying to get her treatment. But last week she had another suicide attempt, which was more serious. She's been in the children's hospital for the past week and will be moving again to an in-patient adolescent psych hospital, probably for a week.

My in-laws are looking for a longer-term treatment facility for her (her psychiatrist thinks she should be in a residential facility for at least 30 days, to get intensive therapy and diagnosis).

They've been pointed to a certain facility which is known to be very good, but it's in Wisconsin (they live near Philadelphia). Does anyone know of any long-term residential programs that are sensitive to Jewish kids? My in-laws aren't frum but they are traditional (keep kosher at home, day school) and my MIL feels that a totally non-Jewish environment will be hard for my SIL. Obviously the most important thing is the best possible place, but she really wants her to be in a place where the doctors and peers will understand her background.

Does anyone have any experience with places that have a good population of Jewish kids (frum or not)? It could be anywhere but East Coast would be preferable. It needs to be a place that typically has longer-term stays (at least one month).

FineOrthodox

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 1:09 pm
Four Winds in Westchester county (NY)
Sorry I don't have contact info but I do know they are top rated and they get kosher food.

FineOrthodox

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 1:10 pm
They are a long term facility

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 1:36 pm
Call ohel 718 851-6300. ask for the mobile outreach team.
They can help you with info on good places

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 3:08 pm
heartbreaking

sending you all hugs and hatzlocha

maybe the wisconsin shluchim chabad can tell you whether this place is sensitive to jewish needs?

may she be blessed with refuah shleimah

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 3:39 pm
Four Winds is a good suggestion. Cornell-New York Hospital in White Plains has Jewish patients and docs and kosher food and an excellent adolescent unit. McLean Hospital in Belmont, Mass. is excellent. My knowledge of these places is from friends and family who are on staff and from friends who were patients.
Refuah Sheleyma to your sil. Her parents are doing the right thing looking for a good place closer to them.
They can call admissions at any of these places for immediate admission.

PAMOM

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 3:41 pm
FineOthodox, she's looking for long-term. 30 days qualifies.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 5:18 pm
I dont know very much about it but the Kennedy Krieger center in Baltimore does something like this I think. I know they have an inpatient unit for violent autistic kids so maybe she can find a similar inpatient unit for depression. and since it's part of John Hopkins you can probably get kosher food.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 6:45 pm
I am going to assume that the program that has been recommended in Wisconsin is Rogers Memorial Hospital. It is an outstanding facility and cannot compare to anything in the NY area. They are sensitive to Jewish kids needs and can provide kosher food. Additionally, there is a Chabad rabbi located close by that can arrange to visit your child if you are interested.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Aug 07 2015, 6:56 pm
Evolve treatment centers near Los Angeles. Google online. Lots of kids from Jewish homes. Access to kosher food. One site even has a rabbi....

Hatzlacha rabba
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)