Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Bar Mitzvah--Ladies help me out!

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 8:48 pm
Ds will I"H' have his bar mitzvah in exactly one year--Shabbos Chazon. Next year, Tisha b'av falls out like this year--on Shabbos, we fast Sunday.

We want him to lein on time (ie, Tisha b'av) but I don't want his simcha to be muted. I just can't wrap my head around celebrating a bar mitzvah on Shabbos, then jumping right into tisha b'av.

If he leins, we need to have the Kiddush that Shabbos. If people come from out of town, I was thinking to provide a lunch seuda. But then we're fasting right after.

This all is feeling to me more like a pain, than fun.

Suggestions, anyone???

Fave

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 9:56 pm
I wouldn't do it - let it be a complete simcha. Celebrate it a week earlier or later

HelloG

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:20 pm
I agree to the above. Ppl move around the kiddush plenty for convenience

ROFL

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:23 pm
I know someone that celebrated a bar mitzvah thus past Shabbat. I will try to find out info and bring back to you. Whichever way you go , have lots of nachat and mazal.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:25 pm
ROFL wrote:
I know someone that celebrated a bar mitzvah thus past Shabbat. I will try to find out info and bring back to you. Whichever way you go , have lots of nachat and mazal.

You're so sweet, thank you! Amen!

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:28 pm
Fave wrote:
I wouldn't do it - let it be a complete simcha. Celebrate it a week earlier or later

Thanks...How can you celebrate earlier? He can't lein before his actual birthday? As for later, to be honest, I would, but dh feels pretty strongly that he should lein his parsha. I was trying to figure out if there was a way to make it more work-able Sad

animeme

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 10:56 pm
Is his birthday actually on Shabbos, or is it earlier during the week so that he can lein on Thursday? Can he lein his parsha erev Tisha B'Av just for the immediate family and then lein maftir the next week and have a celebration?

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 11:16 pm
animeme wrote:
Is his birthday actually on Shabbos, or is it earlier during the week so that he can lein on Thursday? Can he lein his parsha erev Tisha B'Av just for the immediate family and then lein maftir the next week and have a celebration?

Interesting idea!! Thank you!!

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 9:30 am
I really like this idea above, but dh says he's never heard of having the b.m. boy lein his parsha during the week. I'm just curious if anyone's seen or done this?

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 10:26 am
Yes. I know a bunch of people including relatives who did this

Another mom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 3:10 pm
amother wrote:
Interesting idea!! Thank you!!

That's what I was going to suggest... enoy a small Shabbos on the real Parsha, and you can read the maftir any week (after the BM of course). Shabbos Nachamu is a nice week for a Bar Mitzvah!

imalady

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 7:40 pm
actually you and DH may want to ask your Rav about doing a bar mitzvah that week. I know a chassan can have an aliyah, but I think I read in a book that wearing brand new things, even on Shabbos is a problem for everyone else. I have no idea if that's true or not, sometimes things aren't so clear, but you may want to ask before you make any plans.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days