Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Moms outraged by Bugaboo ad featuring bikini-clad model
1  2  3  Next

blueberries

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 5:14 pm
Moms are outraged that a new ad for Bugaboo strollers features a bikini-clad model running
Reality or ridiculous?

Moms are shaking their heads at a new Bugaboo ad that features a bikini-clad model pushing a baby stroller. The company promoted the photo earlier this week, but the comments haven't slowed down yet.

"See how model and mum Ymre Stiekema stays fit and healthy with the Bugaboo Runner," the company posted on their Facebook page on July 21. In the ad, Stiekema is wearing tiny black bottoms, a black and white bikini top (where's the sports bra!?), and is showing off her abs and toned legs. (Some Bugaboo strollers can be worth anywhere between $649 and $1,765.)

"Seriously why in the world would she be running in this? Horrible promotion!! Not gonna lie she's one fit mama but really?!!!" one commenter wrote. A second noted: "I hope she's running to mcdonalds. I'd rather not look like that! Far too skinny. I'm no model but that's not a great picture to show new mums. I like a real woman with wobbly bits!"

Some women even got a kick out of the photo. "Are you kidding me? Who goes running like that? Haha," one wrote. Another joked: "So thaaaat's what I have been doing wrong.....I need to jog with my baby in a Bugaboo to get my beach body back."

Even so, some moms didn't see the problem. In fact, they called out others for putting it down, and even looked at the ad as inspiration.

"Fabulous idea but I bet the bugaboo is also a fabulous price that the majority of us women on maternity just cannot afford," one posted. Another woman added: "Hello she is not gonna run like this with a make up and fab looking hair! Perfectly shot picture! She is one hot mama! Stop being jealous and move! Simples!"

http://usmagazine.com/celebrit.....15257

blueberries

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 5:14 pm
http://video.foxnews.com/v/437.....35001

Dandelion1

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 6:29 pm
I dunno.... I mean I suppose they achieved their goal of getting people to notice their ad.... But my feeling would be that it would distance more moms than it would attract.... It certainly would make me feel slightly negative toward the product, both in terms of feeling resentful toward the s-xualization of EVERYTHING, including freaking baby carriages, as well as feeling postnatally out of shape and irritated by the expectation of having perfect body at that point.....

Ashrei

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 6:56 pm
aleph wrote:
feeling resentful toward the s-xualization of EVERYTHING, including freaking baby carriages...

yup.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 7:01 pm
Don't these strollers sell for $1600 or so? Reality is a big concern here?

Fox

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 7:06 pm
False advertising! I have no use for a stroller! I thought I could get that body for $1,765! That kind of a deal I'd be interested in . . .

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 7:31 pm
I seriously doubt anyone is going to be giving up their high end strollers just because of this ad.

hotmom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 7:36 pm
In reality I'm not shocked at this choice of ad. Like a previous poster wrote "feeling resentful toward the s-xualization of EVERYTHING". The world has become a very immoral place to live in. Everything is about Sekz and nakedness out in the public. It's a sick world out there. Nothing is private...not even the food we make.. so even if this ad is morally of low and poor taste. To the outside world it may be OK.

gold21

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 7:43 pm
It's not what you expect to see in a stroller ad.
You want to see wholesome, you don't want to see s-xy.
Don't like it.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 9:48 pm
The only thing that bothers me is that the man is covered up. LOL
I mean, if we're going to be shown hot bodies, why is he wearing workout clothes and she's in a bikini? It's inconsistent, and, yeah, sexist.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 7:32 am
Very annoying. It annoyed the French moms who commented in droves on the ad online.

bluebird

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 9:00 am
She's a professional model, so her Norma may be different. I could see this as "woman who is a hardcore runner doesn't let a stroller stop her from her usual activity," but I find it completely unrelatable and that it goes way beyond the clothing norms of most women.

luvinlife

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 9:53 am
is it really safe to run with any stroller? I would be scared it would bump into something and tip the child over!

doughnut

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 9:57 am
hotmom wrote:
In reality I'm not shocked at this choice of ad. Like a previous poster wrote "feeling resentful toward the s-xualization of EVERYTHING". The world has become a very immoral place to live in. Everything is about Sekz and nakedness out in the public. It's a sick world out there. Nothing is private...not even the food we make.. so even if this ad is morally of low and poor taste. To the outside world it may be OK.

Not the perspective I would have expected from someone named 'hot mom'

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:13 am
They got noticed which is the point of advertising and I don't think anyone who would otherwise be buying is going to boycott.

And perhaps I am stereotyping but I think most of their target audience for expensive jogging strollers would find the ad to be aspirational. A lot of women who get the Mommy makeover surgery after delivery. There is a LOT of social pressure to get back your skinny figure immediately after birth and the ad reinforces that. Even women who are completely modest like Princess Kate were back to size 2 right after birth and I imagine that same pressure exists among even the frum affluent world.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:33 am
Eh I guess I'm the only one who isn't outraged. She's running with her jogging stroller. Her outfit is about on par for fitness magazines (women's health etc). I think her baby is 2 and she's a professional model. Kudos to her.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:36 am
dancingqueen wrote:
Eh I guess I'm the only one who isn't outraged. She's running with her jogging stroller. Her outfit is about on par for fitness magazines (women's health etc). I think her baby is 2 and she's a professional model. Kudos to her.

I'm not outraged by the bikini but I am "outraged" at the extreme social pressure women have to be ultra fit and find that message more insidious.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:38 am
Amarante wrote:
I'm not outraged by the bikini but I am "outraged" at the extreme social pressure women have to be ultra fit and find that message more insidious.

On celebrities and models? Yes. Regular moms? I think most women like to look good but the average women doesn't feel she needs to be as fit as this model to be ok.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:39 am
dancingqueen wrote:
On celebrities and models? Yes. Regular moms? I think most women like to look good but the average women doesn't feel she needs to be as fit as this model to be ok.

Depends on your circle but given the huge number of eating disordered women, I think the pressure on many women is enormous. I read about it in terms of shidduchs.

I look at pictures of my mother and aunts who were NOT considered to be overweight and they are "fleshier" than what is acceptable now so standards have become more stringent.

A spin-off from this thread on pressures to be thin would be interesting I think.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:51 am
dancingqueen wrote:

Totally not outraged. Maybe I'm not bothered by it because if I had a few more inches in height I could probably model, too, even after a few pregnancies. (Not braggjng, just stating facts.) I think a lot of women see the model as having an unrealistic, unattainable figure, while to me that's one form of a realistic mom's figure. (Don't get jealous; a body is just that, and everybody has their own, personal struggles...)
I just want equality. If you're showing us half naked women, show the men in equal state of partial undress. (When I saw this on Facebook there was another ad with a dad jogging, dressed in a tee and shorts. Had they shown his pecs and biceps, I would have been placated. Cool )
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics