Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
ISO tanach-true/historically educational movies/films

trixx

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 4:39 pm
Had no idea where to post this, sorry.

When I was in Israel I saw so many educational movies in museums that were fantastic - movies that depict scenes from the churban/life of kohanim (the Burnt House), or help explain the BHMK (Kotel Tunnel Tours, Temple Institute) or general history (new movie filming in Hadassah Center in Chevron). I wish they weren't only in museums and that I could take them home with me! (to have as a resource in general in life but especially for teaching)

Anyone know if there are good DVD's like this that I can purchase? I don't mean Malkali style or even secular movies (although if you can name a good one, please do). I mean something Jewish, very visual and historically accurate, appropriate for all ages but not childish. I know this is a little vague but I don't know how to describe it.. like I just wish those museums would sell their films! USA doesn't even have any such museums that would come close to what Yerushalayim alone has, shame that they're only available there...

TIA if anyone can help at all!

seeker

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 9:27 pm
I doubt they include scenic reenactments but the Living Torah Museum has many videos about historic topics from a very Jewish, accurate perspective. I didn't watch the DVD's but took one of his live tours and it was amazing.

trixx

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 4:38 pm
thanks! never heard of that, where is it?
anyone else?

sky

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 4:56 pm
I have a bais Hamikdash DVD by Chaim Shmuel Friedman (I have it out now because we watched it on tisha b'av.) there is an amazing amount of information on there. It goes through the history of the location of the bais hamikdash and the structure (mainly the second bais hamikdash).

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 5:08 pm
Living Torah Museum has branches in Boro Park, Lakewood, and somewhere around Fallsburg in the Catskills. I think each branch has a different theme but I'm not sure what they are.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 5:09 pm
trixx wrote:
Had no idea where to post this, sorry.

When I was in Israel I saw so many educational movies in museums that were fantastic - movies that depict scenes from the churban/life of kohanim (the Burnt House), or help explain the BHMK (Kotel Tunnel Tours, Temple Institute) or general history (new movie filming in Hadassah Center in Chevron). I wish they weren't only in museums and that I could take them home with me! (to have as a resource in general in life but especially for teaching)

Why not go online to some of the sites you visited in person and see if their gift shops etc sell the types of videos you want?

sky

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 8:06 pm
I've seen some of the Living Torah Museum's tapes and they are very informative. We have some through Oorah (I think rodents and birds in the torah) and I believe my sister in law ordered some by calling them:
http://www.thelivingtorahmuseu......html
You can try googling Oorah Living Torah Museum I think some of the videos may be online.

trixx

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 9:49 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Why not go online to some of the sites you visited in person and see if their gift shops etc sell the types of videos you want?

Bought 2 DVD from temple Institute and they were sooo bad. Slideshow with audio literally. Waste of almost $40. It is no longer 1990 hello! So that's why I want personal recommendations instead of blindly spending money

trixx

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 9:50 pm
sky wrote:
I've seen some of the Living Torah Museum's tapes and they are very informative. We have some through Oorah (I think rodents and birds in the torah) and I believe my sister in law ordered some by calling them:
http://www.thelivingtorahmuseu......html
You can try googling Oorah Living Torah Museum I think some of the videos may be online.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics