Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Donating Hair to Charity

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 3:51 pm
I have three girls ready to donate their hair.

I'd like to donate to a Jewish organization. Each has about 10 inches to donate and still have hair past their shoulders (they want to be able to put into a pony tail after the hair cut).

Zichron Menachem's website says 12 inches but the Q&As say they will take 1 to 2 inches less than that. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Chai Lifeline wants 14 so that's out.

Any other recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks

alittlebirdie

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 4:45 pm
I heard 26 cm. Didn't do it in the end

luppamom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 5:08 pm
When I was a teen, I donated to Locks of Love which was 10 inches.

Shortly after I gave birth, I wanted to do s/t w/ all my extra pregnancy hair before it fell out so I donated to zichron menachem. I don't remember the hair cutter actually measuring my hair, but it was really long. (From measuring it at home. I would guess the longest part was 12 inches.) She separated it into a bunch of ponies and cut them all off.

OP, could you call them and ask? It would be a waste if they couldn't use it.

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 6:19 pm
I did call. They'll take 10 but prefer 12. My girls have the hair to spare. It's past their natural waists. They just want it long enough for a pony after the hair cut.

According to what I read Locks of love can throw up to 80 per of the hair they get.

luppamom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 6:20 pm
1091 wrote:
I did call. They'll take 10 but prefer 12. My girls have the hair to spare. It's past their natural waists. They just want it long enough for a pony after the hair cut.

According to what I read Locks of love can throw up to 80 per of the hair they get.

My hair fit a pony tail when I cut it (the second time). But, I didn't miss it as much b/c I was PP and I cover it.

Donating to Zichron Menachem was much nicer. I don't even think Locks of Love acknowledged my donation. (Maybe I'm not remembering. It was many yrs. ago.) Zichron Menachem sent me a whole thank you letter and certificate. I didn't really need it, but thought it was thoughtful of them. I was especially happy to give to somewhere Jewish. The first time around, I gave to Locks of Love b/c I only had 10"

anon for this

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 6:35 pm
Does Chai Lifeline give a letter/ certificate to those who donate hair?

mille

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 7:33 pm
I know you want a Jewish organization, but if you would consider somewhere not Jewish, Pantene Beautiful Lengths requires only 8". When you donate, you can check off a box to receive an acknowledgement. They send you a thank you letter with your name if you check that box. From my understanding, Pantene is a GREAT place to donate. The wigs they make are donated directly to wig banks through the American Cancer Society and given to women for free who have lost their hair due to chemotherapy. (My understanding is that the criticism of some other hair donation organizations is that they make wigs, sell the wigs, then donate the profit towards charity, but I don't know if it's true)

The only hair they throw out is hair that doesn't meet their requirements. But considering the low length requirement, I would guess not a lot will get thrown out!

Here's a link: http://pantene.com/en-us/exper.....ngths

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 8:06 pm
Thanks everyone

My two big girls gave twelve inches each and still have hair past their shoulders. My youngest had 10 inches to give.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 10:10 pm
I'm about to send hair off to locks of love.... you heard they throw out 80% of donations??? Hmmmm.... maybe I'll send elsewhere. Pantene looks good.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 2:07 am
1091 wrote:

When I take over the internet, the "submit" button won't work until you choose the correct Snopes rating for the story from a menu.

http://www.snopes.com/politics.....e.asp
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics