Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
International Shipping Fraud?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jul 26 2015, 11:22 pm
A few weeks ago we had a family emergency and had to move countries for the foreseeable future. I had ten days notice. I googled shipping companies, called one because I saw someone I knew as a reference. I then called up the next person on the list who said that they store things for the first company and are much bigger and more established and even the US embassy uses them. I called back the first company who said that they do the same thing, but they like to think their customer service is better. I used the second company who also gave a cheaper quote. They came in and took all my stuff--pots pans, china, linens, clothing etc. We did not ship silver or cash or important documents. We have insurance that was provided from the company [they connected us to them]. It has now been over ten days since our stuff was taken out. I have not received a bill, I have not heard from them, and I am starting to freak out that there is fraud! I emailed them and they said "the invoice will come soon." I googled fraud and their company name, and only one fishy thing came up of a court case against them. But it is not like they are reeking of immorality. Has anyone shipped internationally before? What was your experience?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 6:41 pm
Yes I've done international moves multiple times, but the shipping companies were either chosen by my/DH's employers or on a few occasions we had to pay we chose someone recommended by someone I knew who had done the same.

Usually you first get written quotation, then there are a number of documents that are exchanged including a master list of items, actual contract determining terms (what containers, port to be delivered, indemnities, storage period etc.) Didn't you sign something before handing over household contents?

Just having 1 commercial dispute alone doesn't make the company fishy. Do you know if they belong to a trade association? Consult consumer protection bureau?

Sorry to hear you have to move with little notice for family reasons. Hope all goes well.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 7:34 pm
sonigo, are they reliable?

PAMOM

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 7:51 pm
Yes, they are VERY reliable. Was your shipment going along with another scheduled for the same country? Did yours have to wait? What form of transportation were they using!
Is there a date on your contract for delivery or a range of dates? Tell us exactly what the contract says, but they are definitely a reliable company.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 8:04 pm
THANK YOU for calming my nerves!
I finally wrote to them something like "are you people for real? where is the invoice? is my stuff ok?" They sent the invoice a few hours later and said not to worry about my stuff. It seems so much cheaper than other companies though...I picked them because they were the cheapest quote I got, part of the reason I was nervous. The stuff is going by boat to NY and then continuing on by truck. It is being shared with another person's stuff and might have to go to Australia or something first.

PAMOM

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 9:33 pm
That explains why its so cheap. They're combining loads.

joy613

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 9:38 pm
I know many people who used Sonigo and didn't have problems. They seem to be reliable.

shabri

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:14 am
I used Sonigo. We were VERY happy with them. (Ny--> Israel)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating