Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What to do with an ugly wig

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:35 am
I bought this wig when I got married.
I have so far worn it for a year+ a bit more.
I am constantly fighting with it. fixing it and hating it.
Its been a long journey with this sheital. with all the rip offs(from my original sheital macher)
to the bad styling (by the original styler) to all the fixing up(by a new sheital macher)
I have [filth] so much money into fixing it up, changing its netting, changing the front, adding hair and more.
and I still HATE it.
I don't want to pay any more to fix it more.
its straight and dark and long and very layered with no bangs.
Is there any style I can try with such a wig?
any ideas?
p.s. why on earth can't I be anonymous on the wig forum. I don't want to post with my name. EVERYBODY knows all about my shaitel woes.

cnc

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:37 am
What don't you like about it? Is the color right? Is the size right?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:38 am
its a map on my head

cnc

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:41 am
Was that supposed to say mop?
If yes maybe it needs a very good cut, possibly also a thinning.

Maybe if you lost your location, we can help put with recommendations.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:42 am
whoops I meant that its a MOP!
for some reason there seems to be tons of hair next to my face just blocking it.
and the hair in back is thin.
it looks all wrong on me.

nywife

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:43 am
What about selling it and buying a new one?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:44 am
its used.
where can I sell such a wig

cnc

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:44 am
What about pinning the front hairs aeay from the face...

If you think there's really no hope then maybe consider selling it.

cnc

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:45 am
Doppelganger wigs

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 10:37 am
If you wear falls, can you make it into one? At least you can get use out of it and not feel ugly in it.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 1:54 pm
Maybe a very wide, stretchy, headband that covers the front hairline? It would control and flatten the front.

It sounds as if your next wig (there is always a next wig) will have more wave, not be so stick-straight. Stick-straight is not as natural-looking as a little wave.

The wig is also too thick-haired to look natural. People in general do not have thick, thick, hair.

Go to a store that sells synthetics and try on a few. This will give you ideas. A synthetic will tide you over.

Forgive yourself. You are new at this.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 3:50 pm
donate it -- at least you'll get the "mitzvah credit" and someone will enjoy the sheitel

there are sheitel gemachs

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 3:52 pm
ps maybe one can't be anonymous on the wig forum so as to prevent people inappropriately (think sock puppeting) pushing a sheitel macher -- even well intentioned like a relative

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 9:09 pm
OP, I think that auto correct is having some fun at your expense. You might want to re read your original post and change that word to "poured". Just sayin.

(I wish I could PM you to tell you about the typo. I don't mean to embarrass you.) embarrassed

I second making the sheitel into a fall. I had a wig that would NEVER cooperate, no matter what I did. I made it into a fall, and now it looks gorgeous on me. I had mine sewn onto a wig grip band (no clips, yay!) and wear different sashes on top to match my outfits. I cover the front of my hairline, and it still looks very stylish and natural.

In the winter it looks adorable with a beret on top, too.

hinenimuchan

Post Thu, Jul 23 2015, 10:27 pm
Pin part of the front hair back with attractive combs or clips. If it's too short for that, pull the pieces back with a thin flexible or stretchy headband. Leave wisps to frame your face/neck and cover the hairline if necessary.

Put a small flip at the bottom (with curlers or curling iron) to balance the front.

Also, if you are wearing the swept bangs look or long, parted front look, they do often look moppy, especially if the hair is very straight. Maybe cut it into standard bangs...they seem to be making a comeback in the fashion world. Only a matter of time before sheitel wearers transition over, IMO. Be bold. Lead the trend.

In my experience, alot of sheitel machers do not have real skill at cutting. Some fairly well known ones can't even cut straight. They compensate by encouraging you to spend a lot on high-end hair and keeping the style long because long swingy hair will have a beauty of its own even if the cut is so-so, and because that leaves room to fix it if the customer is unhappy with the original cut. I have come to believe that cut and style are more important to appearance than hair quality (Hair quality makes more difference to feel and perhaps durability). Best not to let anyone cut -- especially a new sheitel -- unless you are very familiar with their work.

If it is high end and in great condition but you can't live with it and want to sell it, try MOPS sheitel consignment. They are in Hillside, NJ and I think Israel. Google them. I bought a used one from them and so did my friend. There is also a sheitel consignment store in Baltimore. I forget its name.

trixx

Post Fri, Jul 24 2015, 3:56 pm
Secondhand wig stores will give you commission for the sale
Look up on Facebook doppelganger wigs, red carpet wigs

bamba

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 4:03 pm
I have the same issue with my straight wig. Also bought it when got married and have messed around with it a lot but still not sitting nicely. Got full bangs cut but was cut not great so the side bits hang into my face. Just not great!! Maybe will get it cut into a bandfall... Would sell it but not got enough money at the moment to buy a new one and need it!!

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 6:03 pm
I wear wigs I don't like in the winter with a hat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics