Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Moms outraged by Bugaboo ad featuring bikini-clad model
Previous  1  2  3  Next

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 2:02 pm
Trust me my happy weight is definitely thin, and looking around my community most women are thin. I just don't think a very fit woman jogging with her high end jogging stroller is so offensive.

gold21

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 2:12 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
Totally not outraged. Maybe I'm not bothered by it because if I had a few more inches in height I could probably model, too, even after a few pregnancies. (Not braggjng, just stating facts.) I think a lot of women see the model as having an unrealistic, unattainable figure, while to me that's one form of a realistic mom's figure. (Don't get jealous; a body is just that, and everybody has their own, personal struggles...)
I just want equality. If you're showing us half naked women, show the men in equal state of partial undress. (When I saw this on Facebook there was another ad with a dad jogging, dressed in a tee and shorts. Had they shown his pecs and biceps, I would have been placated. Cool )

The fact that the woman is model material is not the point. This is not a debate about her post-baby body.
I mean, she has amazing abs, she is quite tall which really helps emphasize her waist. But this is a stroller ad. We want to see the same cute model mom with her jogging clothes ON- plus a full shot of a cute smiling baby in the stroller- now THAT would be a nice ad.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 2:17 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
On celebrities and models? Yes. Regular moms? I think most women like to look good but the average women doesn't feel she needs to be as fit as this model to be ok.

Why do you think celebrities and models are expected to be very thin, if there is no message that women in general should be very thin? I think that if enough women felt it was OK to be a bit less thin, society would think it was OK for models to be a bit less thin, too.

But that said, I'm not outraged. From reading the article, it doesn't sound like anyone else was outraged either. Just amused. IMO the ad looks silly.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 2:25 pm
FWIW, even the standards for being thin have gone way done for models and celebrities. I'm not talking about zaftig movie stars of the past but the average size of the super model in the 1980's was a 4/6 or even eight - think Christie Brinkley or Cindi Crawford. Today, many of the "models" on the runway are 13 or 14 and haven't even reached puberty.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 2:38 pm
gold21 wrote:
The fact that the woman is model material is not the point. This is not a debate about her post-baby body.
I mean, she has amazing abs, she is quite tall which really helps emphasize her waist. But this is a stroller ad. We want to see the same cute model mom with her jogging clothes ON- plus a full shot of a cute smiling baby in the stroller- now THAT would be a nice ad.

I agree that her jogging in a bikini would be ridiculous in real life, but it's an ad!
Most ads are exaggerated, lots of them are sexist and many of them are laughable.
I don't get the outrage.

pumpkinsbubby

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 2:48 pm
Do they have an e-address? I would like to tell them that if I want a Playboy magazine I will get the magazine, but it is poor taste to advertise a Bugaboo in such a fashion. Sick!

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 2:50 pm
Why the bikini? She could look quite fit in a sports bra and leggings. Who goes jogging in a bikini?

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 2:54 pm
[quote="ora_43"]Why do you think celebrities and models are expected to be very thin, if there is no message that women in general should be very thin? I think that if enough women felt it was OK to be a bit less thin, society would think it was OK for models to be a bit less thin, too.

Fashion models need to be thin because curves distract from the clothes. Fitness models need to be fit its in the job description. In generally society it's actually "in" to be curvy- having a booty is trendy If a body part can indeed be trendy.

doughnut

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 3:13 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
Totally not outraged. Maybe I'm not bothered by it because if I had a few more inches in height I could probably model, too, even after a few pregnancies. (Not braggjng, just stating facts.)

If you weren't stating the facts, that wouldn't be bragging, just lying. But if you were stating the facts, well, I think that falls under bragging. Just stating the facts.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 3:17 pm
doughnut wrote:
If you weren't stating the facts, that wouldn't be bragging, just lying. But if you were stating the facts, well, I think that falls under bragging. Just stating the facts.

Don't hate. Rolling Eyes

doughnut

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 3:21 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
Don't hate. Rolling Eyes

Oh, I don't hate. I myself am beautiful, smart and successful. I'm not bragging, just...eh, whatever.

gold21

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 3:22 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
I agree that her jogging in a bikini would be ridiculous in real life, but it's an ad!
Most ads are exaggerated, lots of them are sexist and many of them are laughable.
I don't get the outrage.

well, I wouldnt say I'm outraged. im not into brand name strollers altogether, so dont care about the bugaboo ad. I still use an inglesina zippy from NINE YEARS AGO Cool (and not because I cant afford something new- its just because im not into strollers)

But no, the ad doesn't sit well with me. I think its important for people to be passionate and to react to things that they dont agree with. How boring would this world be otherwise! Passion and opinions are important.

While I definitely want to see that woman in the advertisement put out a user-friendly fitness video, she doesn't belong in such minimal attire in a stroller ad. It seems distasteful- an ad about a baby stroller (think giggly smiley baby, cozy huggable mommy, freckle-faced big sister, cozy family...) featuring a bikini model.

(p.s. I AM DEFINITELY DOING MY PLANKS TONIGHT IY"H... #IWantThoseAbs)

Last edited by gold21 on Tue, Jul 28 2015, 3:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 3:27 pm
I feel that the outrage should be aimed at bugaboo, not Ymre Stiekema. It's her career to look thin and beautiful. This is just another gig for her. I feel bad that people (people in general, not just here, but all over the web) are trashing this model for just doing her job.

gold21

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 3:29 pm
MrsDash wrote:
I feel that the outrage should be aimed at bugaboo, not Ymre Stiekema. It's her career to look thin and beautiful. This is just another gig for her. I feel bad that people (people in general, not just here, but all over the web) are trashing this model for just doing her job.

yea I agree- I dont mean my comments at her directly- I mean HEY BUGABOO this woman doesnt belong in your stroller ad, not HEY YMRE STIEKEMA why did you take the gig

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 3:50 pm
doughnut wrote:
Oh, I don't hate. I myself am beautiful, smart and successful. I'm not bragging, just...eh, whatever.

You're not hating, but you just managed to clip out the part of my post that you wanted to disect and left out the part that explains why I shared that. Have fun with it. Peace sign

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 3:54 pm
gold21 wrote:
well, I wouldnt say I'm outraged. im not into brand name strollers altogether, so dont care about the bugaboo ad. I still use an inglesina zippy from NINE YEARS AGO Cool (and not because I cant afford something new- its just because im not into strollers)

But no, the ad doesn't sit well with me. I think its important for people to be passionate and to react to things that they dont agree with. How boring would this world be otherwise! Passion and opinions are important.

While I definitely want to see that woman in the advertisement put out a user-friendly fitness video, she doesn't belong in such minimal attire in a stroller ad. It seems distasteful- an ad about a baby stroller (think giggly smiley baby, cozy huggable mommy, freckle-faced big sister, cozy family...) featuring a bikini model.

(p.s. I AM DEFINITELY DOING MY PLANKS TONIGHT IY"H... #IWantThoseAbs)

I totally agree with the bolded, but in the world of advertisement, that ad is not an anomaly. I guess I'm just desensitized to it.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 3:56 pm

Fox

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 5:02 pm
So, um, you're saying I *can't* just pay the $1,765 and get the body instead of the stroller?

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:14 pm
I'm not outraged, I just think the ad is ridiculous.

sushi galore

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:22 pm
Well, the ad did get me started on a strict diet and to the gym before my next one comes along...maybe I'll be the next ad shock
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics