Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Wallpaper or textured paint?

nosher

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 11:19 pm
We will be painting our house shortly and are reviewing our options. Please give your opinions and experience. Which is prettier? Which holds up better? Price differences etc... Thank you

nosher

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 8:19 am
Anyone?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 8:45 am
I haven't used textured paint per se but but have sponge painted nearly all of the rooms in my home, and sponge painting is a textured effect (and one that doesn't require much skill). It can be retouched and, unlike wallpaper, doesn't start peeling at the edges or in corners over time.

My experience with wallpaper — 60s era UGLY wallpaper that came with the house — is that it is very difficult to remove and often takes some of the drywall with it.

I do my own interior painting, so I find the price very reasonable. Very Happy

Optione

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 8:48 am
Wallpaper is no longer very common. I definitely vote paint. The latter is also much easier to touch up.

ahuva06

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 8:52 am
Wallpaper is coming back in...! I don't have personal experience with either though.

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 3:22 pm
I don't know about durability, but wallpaper can be so much prettier/more elegant than even th fanciest type of textured paint. And I have been told by interior designers that it is back in style, of course updated from the 60's version... Wink

nosher

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 6:29 pm
Thanks for your responses. A decorator recommended wallpapeR that has a textured look, not the picture type. That got me thinking that maybe interesting wall paint may be a smarter move. I'd love to read more comments please.

chulentalakiddush

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 6:38 pm
I have one wall with wall paper in my bedroom and I love it. It is definitely back in style. (It's not the paint swoop look of my parents kitchen and every bedroom in my childhood home circa 1992, with the matching boarder paper and vertical shades). My contractor said wall paper is pricier today. If I remember correctly, I spent about 400 dollars and bought it on-line. In store it was much more. Also, my contractor said the adhesives they use today are less toxic than what they used 20 years ago but it doesn't adhere has well. I've had it up for three years and haven't had an issue. Do a google image search to see which look you like better.

ven

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 6:42 pm
Oh no wallpaper... I find doing a decent paintjob already a very very big deal. If u have somewhat oke walls without too many things that need to be covered up , I for sure vote for paint ! Wallpaper is hard to remove and is very very easily outdated

mommyla

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 8:44 pm
Wallpaper is definitely in again. And there's paintable wallpaper if you want to do both! Very Happy

I love beautiful textured wallpaper, but if you'd rather not deal with peeling somewhere down the line (though paint has its downsides too - chipping, scuffing etc.), get a good faux painter ($$$) to custom-paint your walls.

nosher

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 9:25 pm
I probably should have mentioned that I have little kids. How do you determine what type of textured paint is nice for each room without using a decorator?

nosher

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 9:26 pm
My walls are in good condition. Not hiding anything.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 3:30 am
Both wallpaper and textured both are a pain to remove when it's time to redo the room.

nosher

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 4:05 am
So Ima you would stick to flat paint?

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 5:03 am
nosher wrote:
So Ima you would stick to flat paint?

I have, and plan to do it again next time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics