Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Rib eye steak
1  2  Next

champion

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 6:13 am
I want to make rib eye steak for supper.
from clicking around here and there online I am getting conflicting ideas.
some claim that the best is to make this stake with very minimal spicing- only steak spice or even only black pepper.
and some recipes call for a marinate/sauce.
I am trying to get a nice crunchy type of meat and tender on the inside. I like when meat is a bit saucy and sweet.
what would be the best way to make this
p.s.- I am using an electric grill

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 8:06 am
This is considered one of the great cuts of steak because it is tender and well marbled which adds flavor and juiciness.

You do not want to marinate this cut but season both sides well with salt, pepper, garlic powder or look up a dry steak rub which is a blend of spices and also sometimes contains a bit if brown sugar to round out the flavors. Incan post one if you are interested.

In terms of cooking, you want a classic medium rare. Sear both sides in a very hot pan to brown and then stick in the oven to finish. A cast iron pan is great for this but any heavy pan that can go in the oven will do. Check the meat thermometer so it's the right internal temperature and then rest it under tin foil tent for about 10 minutes so you don't lose all the juice when cut.

Instead of marinating and/or cooking in a sauce, one would serve a steak sauce on the side traditionally. Commercial ones are available like the déclassé ketchup LOL or A-1 but you can make your own to your taste.

If you need recipes or temperature guide for this, let me know as I am not at my computer now.

A good rib eye is a gourmet delight so you want to give it the proper respect. :-).

champion

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 8:11 am
great answer!
thanks for the great tips!
what would I do if I am using a electric grill?

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 8:26 am
Same idea. You sear both sides at a high temperature. My electric grill goes to 450. You then lower so that you don't burn the exterior and have a raw interior. A meat thermometer helps achieve the perfect doneness.

I wouldn't use the top closing personally on a good steak like rib eye because you would wind up steaming instead of grilling.

Also since you aren't sautéing, rub the steaks well with olive oil when you do the spice rub.

Here are tips on temperature. A meat thermometer is a very good investment. Good meat is so expensive that you want to make sure you are doing everything to make it perfectly.

Length of cooking time varies depending on how thick the cut is so that is why taking the temperature is critical. Medium rare is an internal temperature of 135 to 140.

ETA when you rest meat, the temperature will rise as the meat will continue to cook so you remove it from heat and tent about 5 degrees lower than you want. For example, if you want 140 degrees, rest when it is 135 degrees.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Jul 28 2015, 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

champion

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 8:30 am
thanks.
I guess in the future I will invest in a thermometer. but for now I don't have one.
how should I know how long to keep it on each side? what should it look like?

also,
any recipes for a good steak sauce?

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 8:44 am
Depends on how thick the cut is. Here's a chart that gives you some idea. There is also a way to press on tne meat to estimate doneness since raw meat is super squishy and medium rare is still soft when touched

This shows how to test with your fingers.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/r.....meat/

Also bring steak to room temperature as you don't want to add cold meat to tje grill for best results. Do the rub and let the meat sit for about 1/2 hour.

http://howtocookasteak.com/for.....ic=24

champion

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 9:01 am
oh wow!
awsome.
thanks so much!!

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 9:07 am
What ingredients do you have for the sauce? Do you have red wine or hoisin sauce?

champion

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 9:15 am
red wine.
soy sauce.
honey.
ketchup.
spices of all kinds.
and any classic sauce that won't be so hard to find is fine too.
(I am not in the US so I can't get all the american products)

zohar

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 10:11 am
I am going to save this thread. Thanks Amarante. (And champion for starting the thread).

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 12:16 pm
The steak sauces I have are pan sauces in which the pan used to cook the steak is deglazed with wine and seasonings or else use hoisin sauce which you don't have. This should work for you and looks good.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 small onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely diced
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
3/4 cup beef broth (or water)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Instructions

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes until the onions are softened and translucent. Add garlic and parsley and sauté for 2 more minutes, until softened and fragrant.
Add ketchup, broth or water, Worcestershire sauce, espresso powder, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender you can carefully transfer the mixture to an upright blender, cover, and blend until smooth. Transfer to a clean mason jar and allow to rest until cooled to room temperature. Seal with a lid and store in the refrigerator. Serve on grilled steak. Sauce will last in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 28 2015, 12:20 pm
Here's a steak rub but the variations are endless depending on what type of flavors you like.

INGREDIENTS Nutrition

SERVINGS 4 UNITS US

3 tablespoons kosher salt (to taste)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, pulverized
2 teaspoons spanish smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine all the spices in a bowl. Stir to evenly distribute all the ingredients. If you want to monitor the amount of salt, combine all the spices except the salt in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon Kosher salt and stir. Taste the rub and then gradually add more salt to taste.

champion

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 3:14 am
YAY!!!
I did it!
I actually made a steak!
it was delish. and my husband swore he will never go to a steak house again!
I was so nervous I was gonna get it all wrong!
thanks for all the amazing advice.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 6:44 am
I'm glad it worked out for you. I have never understood the allure of a steak house because it's relatively simple to cook a good steak at home - and even though good steak from the butcher is expensive, good steak in a restaurant is insanely expensive. I would rather eat food in a restaurant that is difficult or time consuming to prepare - food I wouldn't ordinarily want to attempt to make.

You started with rib eye which is a great cut of meat for a steak unlike other "steak" cuts like flank or chuck which really need to be potchked and doctored to be palatable.

Did you wind up with a sauce?

Now that you see a future in "meat", a meat thermometer is a wonderful kitchen tool which is helpful when cooking any kind of protein - brisket, roasts, chicken. A thermometer is inexpensive and just like a microplane (also cheap) is something one wonders how one cooked without. Very Happy

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 6:51 am
Amarante, since you appear to be quite the steak expert, maybe you can help me.

Sometimes I buy a rib eye, cook it to perfection and it's absolutely delicious. Sometimes I do the EXACT same thing with the EXACT same looking steak from the EXACT same butcher and it comes out chewy and miserable. I am sure it is nothing to do with me and has something to do with the quality of meat. Is there a way to look at a steak in the packaging and know which will be great and which will be chewy? They all seem to have the same marbled look. I get so upset when I'm looking forward to a great steak and end up with rubber.

champion

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 6:53 am
I know! as we were eating we were saying the same thing!
next time instead of going out for stake we can buy it. its expensive but like half price of what it would cost in a restaurant.

I made it with just a rub of olive oil and then spices (steak spice, black pepper and garlic) on a grill

tonight I am gonna try the other half of the pkg in a pan so maybe some of your sauces with the excess juice from the extra meat will work.
can you give me some recipe for that?

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 7:00 am
MiracleMama wrote:
Amarante, since you appear to be quite the steak expert, maybe you can help me.

Sometimes I buy a rib eye, cook it to perfection and it's absolutely delicious. Sometimes I do the EXACT same thing with the EXACT same looking steak from the EXACT same butcher and it comes out chewy and miserable. I am sure it is nothing to do with me and has something to do with the quality of meat. Is there a way to look at a steak in the packaging and know which will be great and which will be chewy? They all seem to have the same marbled look. I get so upset when I'm looking forward to a great steak and end up with rubber.

I WISH I could solve that dilemma. Some of it depends on the grade of the steak but presumably your butcher is selling the same "grade".

I think the only thing that would work is to develop a relationship with the butcher and complain like heck if you spent a LOT of money and the steak wasn't up to snuff. I would speak to him and say this steak was good but this one wasn't fit for a dog. Very Happy Maybe even return the steak (cooked) to make your point although that's logistically difficult so most people just put up with it.

My friend once returned a fish to the fishmonger because it didn't taste good. It was very expensive whole fish and we just "picked" at it. So she was determined and packed it up and took it back to the store. They actually refunded her money and didn't say boo. She didn't act like a crazy person so I might try that the next time the butcher gives you an inferior cut of steak.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 7:04 am
champion wrote:
I know! as we were eating we were saying the same thing!
next time instead of going out for stake we can buy it. its expensive but like half price of what it would cost in a restaurant.

I made it with just a rub of olive oil and then spices (steak spice, black pepper and garlic) on a grill

tonight I am gonna try the other half of the pkg in a pan so maybe some of your sauces with the excess juice from the extra meat will work.
can you give me some recipe for that?

I don't know what you mean by the excess juice as the sauces are either made in the pan after the meat has been removed (if you cook in a pan rather than grill) and then the juices from the steak are incorporated somewhat as well as the spices from the meat and the "fond" at the bottom of the pan.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 7:14 am
I googled a bit about how to choose a good steak and aside from the obvious like buying well marbled from a good butcher, this was interesting as to why one ribeye is tender and the other not so. I don't think we as consumers can tell whether the ribeye came from the desirable middle section, but the butcher sure can so you can assert your maveness to him and request the tender middle section the next time you buy so its not so much of a **** shoot. :-). ETA I love when I am censored for using a word that is NOT naughty as I was referred to the game of chance played with dice and not excrement. LOL. Iwonder if the Yiddish term for excrement would be censored?

6) The proportion of the rib-eye steaks are also important; when you are holding the rib-eye steak the right way up (with the widest part with the “eye” in it at the top) the top piece round the eye should be generously proportioned and there should be a decent sized defined fat nugget at the “eye” of the steak.

7) It’s also a good idea to check with your supplier and ensure you choose a ribeye steak that comes from the middle portion of the ribs, since that is typically the tenderest cut. Cuts of rib-eye steak that come from either end, rather than the middle, tend to have a rougher texture, which you will want to avoid.

champion

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 7:34 am
Amarante wrote:
I don't know what you mean by the excess juice as the sauces are either made in the pan after the meat has been removed (if you cook in a pan rather than grill) and then the juices from the steak are incorporated somewhat as well as the spices from the meat and the "fond" at the bottom of the pan.

thats what I mean.
once the meat is removed I want to make a sauce.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics