Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Rabbi Gellerman "Chinuch expert" Lakewood NJ
1  2  Next

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 2:16 pm
Anyone familiar with this person? A friend just told me that he told her to take her child out of therapy and instead do "chinuch coaching" with him. He says he's a retired psychologist but he's not "doing psychology" he's "doing chinuch".
Is this guy legit? Does he have a following or background? Anyone know of him, where he's from, what the story is? Sounds a bit sketchy to me.......

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 2:25 pm
I don't know his credentials but I've heard some of his parenting CD's and liked them.

debsey

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 2:37 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I don't know his credentials but I've heard some of his parenting CD's and liked them.

"Parenting" and "coaching" and psychotherapy are VERY different things......I hope there's a good explanation. Lakewood doesn't need yet MORE self-proclaimed experts.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 2:54 pm
debsey wrote:
"Parenting" and "coaching" and psychotherapy are VERY different things......I hope there's a good explanation. Lakewood doesn't need yet MORE self-proclaimed experts.

Agree.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Jul 14 2015, 7:31 pm
What's his first name?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 2:05 am
Stay far away. He promotes physical abuse as a form of punishment to children like no food, clothing, locking in basement. Etc.

Yisrael gellerman

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 8:38 am
I'd be very wary of anyone telling a parent to stop a child's therapy. Why shouldn't the kid continue the therapy? Is it harmful in some way?
What sort of credentials does he have? Why did he stop practicing psychology? Was it honestly his choice or was he forced out and spins it that he is retired? What does being into chinuch mean?
I don't know him at all, just some questions for consideration.

debsey

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
Stay far away. He promotes physical abuse as a form of punishment to children like no food, clothing, locking in basement. Etc.

Yisrael gellerman

OUCH - really? That's raising some serious red flags......

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:

Yisrael gellerman

I'm stunned to hear this, are you sure?

Though I have the same "credentials" question.

sourstix

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 3:34 pm
is there a way for your friend to find out his credentials. can she ask him? its a normal thing. I would have a conversation with him asking him his approach. then decide what you want to do. she should definitely be careful if he isnt forth coming in credentials. btw even those with credentials can be really not good. so she needs to ask around.

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 6:40 pm
I know that in nys if you are a licensed therapist you have an NPI number. You google the person's name and it comes up. Of course a person can go by an english name....Anyway, nys and nj are very similar, and I wonder if they have the same "system."

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 31 2015, 7:03 pm
Any type of "life coach", "spiritual guidance counselor", or other type of "therapist" can hang out a shingle without needing any sort of credentials at all. A "chinuch coach" has about as much authority as a gypsy palm reader - so take everything you hear with a large grain of salt, and use your seichel.

nightingale

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 7:52 pm
Did he "practice" about 15/20 years ago in Brooklyn? If it is he same guy, stay away. I don't want to say anything about him unless I am sure it is him. Please see if you can find out. What is his phone number? I am quite alarmed it may be the same person.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 1:08 pm
Anyone have any information on him? My husband is into him and I feel wary....I googled his name and for 10 pages could find no credentials. Could not find an NPI for him in NY nor NJ. I suspect there are none.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 2:05 pm
Please stay away. This guy does tremendous damage to families! He encourages abuse of all kinds

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 2:11 pm
Is he licensed?

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 9:59 am
bump was also recommended to see him - does anyone know if he's licensed?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:21 am
I don't know if he's licensed but I went to discuss family issues I was having including how to deal with very difficult children and his advice was golden. We were on a trajectory of dysfunction and bH it is a lot better and I attribute a lot of it to him. I don't know if I would send my child alone but he gives very good advice. NEVER told me to use physical discipline but does hold strongly of firm discipline with incentives and consequences. He doesn't hold of the new age idea of "spoil them until they're so rotten cuz who knows how they'll turn out etc"and neither do I so maybe that's why it worked for me.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:24 am
one more thing....I don't know why everyone is so negative about him. Use your own brains. If he or anyone else tries to hypnotize you say no. If he or anyone else gives advice that sounds off the wall you don't follow it. Sending your child is different of course.
He raised a beautiful family......

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:26 am
He also gave my husband quite a bit of mussar at some point and he accepted some of it and made those changes which are pretty big. I wish he would implement the rest of them. But Rabbi Gellerman is so so so busy, it's impossible to get time with him. If it was easy I would beg my husband to go there every week. He really cares about people.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)