Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Smoked paprika

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jul 29 2015, 11:42 pm
How smoky of a taste does smoked paprika have? Does it give a hickory smoked flavor?
I have bought hickory smoked garlic powder which I enjoy and would like to know how the smoked paprika compares. Thanks so much.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 12:32 am
It's not as smoky as liquid smoke it's different, more subtle and earthy. It goes better with vegetables than liquid smoke and is good in soups

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 12:43 am
Good smoked paprika is subtle yet smokey and not even close to that smoke in a bottle or smoke flavorings used on other items.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 12:46 am
Thank you!

etky

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 1:10 am
I sometimes sub it for regular paprika when I roast potatoes (goes really well with roast carrots too). It imparts a mild, understated smokiness. We also like it on chicken.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 2:26 pm
This is a good use for the smoked paprika.

I use a stick blender.

Smoky Chickpea, Red Lentil & Vegetable Soup

Servings: 6

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large carrot, diced
Heaping 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
3/4 teaspoon cumin
4 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/3 cup red lentils
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup cooked vegetables, frozen peas or chopped fresh greens (or any combination)

Instructions

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots, smoked paprika and cumin; cook, stirring frequently so the garlic doesn't brown, about 2 minutes more.

Add the broth, diced tomatoes, red lentils, thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer; cook for ten minutes. Add the chickpeas, cover the pot and cook 10 minutes more. Fish out the bay leaves, then transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender and purée until smooth. Add the puréed soup back to the pot and stir. Taste; if you want the soup to be thicker, purée a bit more soup. Add the cooked vegetables, frozen peas or chopped greens and simmer until the soup is hot and the vegetables are warmed through. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.

Nutrition Information

Per serving (6 servings)
Calories:222
Fat:7g
Saturated fat:1g
Carbohydrates:32g
Sugar:7g
Fiber:10g
Protein:10g
Sodium:622mg

granolamom

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 11:18 pm
I think smoked paprika tastes alot like bbq flavored pringles.
we use it in some soups and polenta with veggies.
I dont like hickory smoked anything, I dont think they taste the same at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen