Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
20 month old in cast!!!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 8:29 pm
Hey wondering if anyone has any experience.
My SUPER active 20 month old fractured his leg and is in a cast from hip down to foot. He can't put any pressure on it, so no walking. Ever heard of anything that he could use to get around the floor with? Not to take him anywhere far but like to get a toy a few feet away. He gets sooooo frustrated. Also any ideas on how to keep him entertained?
Thanks Ladies! Everything appreciated Smile

LovetoLive

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 8:37 pm
get a skateboard. he can lay flat on his stomach and use his hands to push himself where he wants to go.

lizard8

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 8:38 pm
Refuah Shemaima! That is so frustrating for both of you! Can he use his hands to rotate his body? You can place toys in a circle and he can move from one toy to the other. I wouldn't recommend cars or balls, because he may get frustrated when they roll away. Maybe try leap frog my first laptop, blocks, books and puzzles.

relish

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 8:47 pm
LovetoLive wrote:
get a skateboard. he can lay flat on his stomach and use his hands to push himself where he wants to go.

That's funny! I was going to recommend a scooterboard. Wink
A

animeme

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 9:12 pm
We had this many years ago, about the same age. He crawled. He used his two arms and one good leg and just shlepped his leg along, dragging the knee on the ground. I would be very hesitant to use something like a scooter unless he has a great sense of balance, because he is inherently off balance and could fall off, knocking the leg.

Kids this age heal fast. That's the good news. The other good news is you have a stroller. Strap him in and wheel him up to a toddler-height table. then set up table toys like blocks or whatever he likes (no balls- good thought). Homemade playdough can be a nice treat; it give a lot of input even though he's sitting still, and if he eat it, he eats it. Also, if he holds on to a swing nicely, take him to the park and put him on a nice baby swing.

animeme

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 9:14 pm
Key question I forgot. Ds had his cast that high because at that age, casts will fall right off if you don't include a bent knee. But his fracture was below the knee, so there was no problem putting weight on the knee. Is this the case with dc?

busydev

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 10:40 pm
when my older son was 10.5mo he fractured his left leg and got a bent knee cast till his hip. he was able to crawl around in it and even managed to cruise with it. (he had just started walking before he broke his leg)

Now my second son (22mo) fractured HIS left leg, tho thankfully he has a walking cast thats only to the knee. within less then a day he was RUNNING with the cast and all. Kids adapt and your son will also figure out how to pull himself around before you know it... tho a scooter board def sounds like a good idea.

(im very very thankful DS is allowed to get around on his cast- I have a 7 week old newborn, live two flights up and have to get to work every day- would be torture to have to carry both of them to the car to go to the sitter)

hatzlocha OP- it will imh be over before you know it. BH little kids heal fast.

pooki

Post Thu, Jul 30 2015, 11:31 pm
Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. Every piece sounds truly helpful! Smile

freshair

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 12:27 am
My kid has a cast that got a bit wet while giving her a shower. How do I know if it needs to be changed?

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 12:29 am
We had this, fracture and cast hip to toe 6 weeks at age 3. Dd needed bathroom assist for hygiene but otherwise got around on a tiptoe limp that took a week to undo when the cast came off. Showering with a plastic bag was an adventure.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Jun 25 2020, 1:11 am
This is the kind of scooter board I would recommend.
Refuah sheleima

Edited- can you see the pic? It doesn’t look like it posted...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics