Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
On Vacation and DS just got Chicken Pox!

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Jul 31 2015, 11:27 am
DS was complaining he's tired and I suddenly noticed he's covered in spots. We're on vacation and Shabbos meals are communal, what do I do? Besides, we're here for another week and a half, do we need to stay in our room?

Just want to add that I'm in a part of the world where chicken pox is a normal childhood illness, no vaccine here for chicken pox.

Kumphort

Post Fri, Jul 31 2015, 11:37 am
I would go to the meals and keep him next to u at the table not let him run around and play with other kids. Other parents may want to expose their kids now while you are on "summer?" Break anyhow

Check online until when he is contagious. I think they are most contagious before spots come out

Barbara

Post Fri, Jul 31 2015, 11:47 am
Kumphort wrote:
I would go to the meals and keep him next to u at the table not let him run around and play with other kids. Other parents may want to expose their kids now while you are on "summer?" Break anyhow

Check online until when he is contagious. I think they are most contagious before spots come out

The child is contagious until all of the blisters have crusted over. That can be about 5 days.

OP, please don't assume that people on vacation want their children exposed to chicken pox. After all, you don't seem to be doing the happy dance and exclaiming with glee about what a blessing it is. Your child should not be in public until all of his/her blisters are crusted over, and s/he is no longer contagious. Yes, that means staying in the room. You and your spouse can take turns.

And hope he feels better soon.

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Jul 31 2015, 11:53 am
Barbara wrote:
The child is contagious until all of the blisters have crusted over. That can be about 5 days.

OP, please don't assume that people on vacation want their children exposed to chicken pox. After all, you don't seem to be doing the happy dance and exclaiming with glee about what a blessing it is. Your child should not be in public until all of his/her blisters are crusted over, and s/he is no longer contagious. Yes, that means staying in the room. You and your spouse can take turns.

And hope he feels better soon.

I second this advice. Chickenpox is airborne and contagious before the rash appears, and so it is best to keep him away from others who are on vacation. Even if someone else may want their child to be exposed to the chicken pox, another mother with an ill great grandmother might not be so happy with that.... or the great grandmother herself.

Refuah Shalaima!

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 31 2015, 12:08 pm
If you are on a vacation with strangers you have no idea who is immunocompromised. You should not be bringing him anywhere. It stinks but its not fair to those who could become extremely ill.

gibberish

Post Fri, Jul 31 2015, 12:12 pm
I agree with the other posters. Do not bring him near others! It is really not nice to every one else - besides chicken pox can be dangerous for some. It may not be the most pleasant vacation, but do your best not to expose him to others.

smss

Post Fri, Jul 31 2015, 12:19 pm
Just because they do not vaccinate for CP locally does not mean you have free reign to have a contagiously sick child be around other people. There aren't vaccines for any number of illnesses...I still keep my kids home when they're sick!

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 12:09 pm
Whoa! No where did I say that I wanted to expose him to others...

Interestingly, and perhaps surprisingly, I've asked most of the people here and none of them were bothered about him being around at all.

I'm staying with him in our room almost all of the time, including all meals since Friday afternoon. I only took him out for a little on Shabbos afternoon to sit in the sun a little in a secluded spot and told everyone to keep away however many people joined us there despite knowing he has chicken pox.

It seems he caught it at school, I really hope no one here catches it especially since he was contagious before we knew about it.

I keep getting asked why we're hiding out but he has been pretty miserable and has been sleeping a lot of the time. I'm glad he's had it though and hope he'll be back to himself soon so that he can enjoy the rest of our vacation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics