Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Movie that is appropriate for a Rov
Previous  1  2  3

sequoia

Post Fri, Jul 31 2015, 2:12 am
Sourstix, why are you so upset at this? If you're assuming the OP's father first banned movies and is now watching them... well, that's a pretty big assumption to make. And it's unfair, you know?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jul 31 2015, 11:29 am
Check each movie's parental guide on IMDB

dimyona

Post Fri, Jul 31 2015, 12:55 pm
I don't get the horrified reactions from people. Rabbis are humans. They are not gods. I repeat, they are human.

I think this is a given in the MO/left wing world, and that is why those communities don't give their rabbis the trust or right to make decisions for them, and don't have a fantasy image of what they do in their spare time.

In the chareidi world, where rabbis are given the reigns in things like family planning and school choices, it is almost implied that they are operating under ruach hakodesh and don't spend a moment not learning torah. I hate to burst that bubble, but that is quite likely not the case.

My great-grandfather was a rav in Boro Park, and he was an extremely learned and pious person. His long white beard and strong personality gave the aura of holiness and authority, and until his dying day he lived on very strong principles.

I have many memories of him in his elderly days sitting in front a VCR, chuckling at the antics of d!ck van Dyke. He was suffering from several painful ailments, and relaxing with these movies were a great respite for him. I don't think this was a failing on his part. He was a human being, and watching him appreciate that entertainment showed me a more tender and humorous side to him.

It sickens me that the judgmental posters on this forum would call him a hypocrite and other ugly names.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics