Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
What kind of sukkah do you have?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 5:15 pm
We need a new sukkah and I would love to have wood, not canvas, but the modular sukkah is so expensive! If you have it, is it worth it? Is it really that easy to put together? Even if your cement is not that even? Or even once it sits around in your garage for a few years? Also, does anyone have the traditional wood panel sukkah? Is it still sold (do you know for how much)? Also, how much work do they involve? I would really appreciate any advice, it's such a big investment! Thanks!!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 6:39 pm
We have a Leiter's sukkah and are very happy with it. It's 16 years old and still going strong , B''H. We even added an extension to it. Keeps us relatively warm, compared to canvas sukkahs. Yes it's expensive, but is a good investment. We're not so handy, plus it's not a conventional 4 walled sukkah so have to hire someone every year to assemble it.
We store the walls, wrapped in tarp, outdoors beneath our porch. No problem with the elements. We store the bamboo skach and wood beams in the garage.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 6:55 pm
Thanks, how's your floor under the sukkah? We have concrete that's a little uneven. I'm wondering if that would make it hard to line up the panels with each other?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 6:59 pm
Oh, wait, did you just say you need to hire someone every year to assemble it? That's what we're trying to avoid, I thought most people can do this on their own?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 7:54 pm
Have Leiter's, Sukkah Depot, or whoever else you decide to use come to your house and survey your porch floor. They'll let you know if it's doable.
Now as far as assembling it, the people who come to our house every year NEVER have a problem. We watch them and it seems so easy breezy. Again, we don't have a conventional 4 walled, free standing sukkah which is supposedly easier to assemble. Ours consists of just 2 1/2 walls. Our house serves as the third and fourth(half) wall, if you can envision it. It has to do with the shape of our porch. The fourth(half) wall is attached to a bracket on the house itself. It's a complicated sukkah, that's all I can say.That's why we need outside help. I recommend you ask other people that have a modular sukkah and see if it's easy to assemble. Now's the time to do your research as Sukkot is right around the corner. Tongue Out

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 7:57 pm
amother wrote:
Have Leiter's, Sukkah Depot, or whoever else you decide to use come to your house and survey your porch floor. They'll let you know if it's doable.
Now as far as assembling it, the people who come to our house every year NEVER have a problem. We watch them and it seems so easy breezy. Again, we don't have a conventional 4 walled, free standing sukkah which is supposedly easier to assemble. Ours consists of just 2 1/2 walls. Our house serves as the third and fourth(half) wall, if you can envision it. It has to do with the shape of our porch. The fourth(half) wall is attached to a bracket on the house itself. It's a complicated sukkah, that's all I can say.That's why we need outside help. I recommend you ask other people that have a modular sukkah and see if it's easy to assemble. Now's the time to do your research as Sukkot is right around the corner. Tongue Out

thanks, we actually need three walls, and we would get someone to attach the bracket to the wall, and then the bracket would stay there, anyone else have experience with this sukkah, or the regular wood panel? Thanks

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 7:58 pm
Also, does anyone assemble this sukkah on their own?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 7:59 pm
amother wrote:
thanks, we actually need three walls, and we would get someone to attach the bracket to the wall, and then the bracket would stay there, anyone else have experience with this sukkah, or the regular wood panel? Thanks

Your welcome! Sorry I couldn't help you more.

mha3484

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 8:17 pm
Yes. DH and a friend put it together. It's super easy to store also.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 9:06 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Yes. DH and a friend put it together. It's super easy to store also.
thanks, that's great to know. How is the ground that you build it on? Our cement is not perfectly even, I'm wondering if that would be a problem

anon for this

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 12:28 am
My kids can put the Leiter's sukkah together with some help from me. I'm a single parent, and I love that we don't have to ask anyone to assemble it for us. Our cement isn't even either, and it isn't a problem.

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 12:37 am
Our sukkah is on cement and it's not totally even. DH says it's not a problem.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 12:38 am
anon for this wrote:
My kids can put the Leiter's sukkah together with some help from me. I'm a single parent, and I love that we don't have to ask anyone to assemble it for us. Our cement isn't even either, and it isn't a problem.

Maybe your kids can put together our sukkah this year! I'm not being sarcastic, cv. We can't seem to assemble it ourselves.

anon for this

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 1:09 am
amother wrote:
Maybe your kids can put together our sukkah this year! I'm not being sarcastic, cv. We can't seem to assemble it ourselves.

Ours is just the standard 4-wall setup, so of course it's easier, but it still took us a little time to figure out. We also had help the first year or two that we had it.

Maybe if you watch the workers assemble it this year, and maybe take notes, you can do it yourselves next time? Also you can sketch the assembled sukkah to help you remember how it looks. There are instructions and clips on the leiterssukkah.com site that can help also.

tovasara

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 11:13 am
Those walled succahs that look so nice, are much harder to put together than they look. In the store they showed us small pieces of the connectors and it looks easy. In reality it is very hard unless you have some really big guys helping you. We also almost always pay someone to do it.

The succah really looks nice, but I think I regret buying something that either takes me hours to do, or costs me so much money each year to pay someone to put up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics