Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
When do you hide behind amother?
1  2  Next

Whats the main reason for you using amother?
I never use amother  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Only when posting really private info  
 9%  [ 14 ]
When info is private or identifying  
 71%  [ 104 ]
To bash someone  
 0%  [ 1 ]
When posting something that others will disagree on  
 3%  [ 5 ]
I almost always use amother  
 8%  [ 13 ]
other  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 145

boymom

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 7:25 am
I noticed that many posters use amother for reasons I cant fathom. I don't see any identifying details in the post and there's nothing private about it.
I use amother only when the post has some private info that I wouldn't want others to know about, in the case that someone here knows who I am IRL. or even if the info isn't private , but its something I just told a bunch of people and if they read it on this site, they will chap that its me.
when do you use amother?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 7:31 am
If it's personal, like under intimacy, or in the spirit of the thread.
Otherwise it's me!
I did go anonymous in the amother colors thread.

Fave

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 8:01 am
[quote="Iymnok"]If it's personal, like under intimacy, or in the spirit of the thread.
Otherwise it's me!
I did go anonymous in the amother colors thread.[/quote

This.

It really gets me when posters hide behind another when posting hurtful obnoxious comments.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 8:10 am
Fave wrote:
This.

It really gets me when posters hide behind another when posting hurtful obnoxious comments.

I used to. But then I realized that I only used the option when I was embarrassed of my comment. I've learned that when I think twice, I shouldn't click anonymous, rather, not post.

simchat

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 9:16 am
If I`m posting something I know many won`t agree with, I would not post anonymously. Either I stand behind my pov or I don`t write it. I really only do when something is very personal - a few people that I know of, know who I am, and maybe more that I don`t. I also use amother when a detail is very identifying, as I prefer the least amount of people to know who I am. I`ll also post amother for consistency`s sake - for e.g if I`ve originally posted as, say, amother orange and I have more to say later on, even if I normally wouldn`t post what I have to say anonymously, for that particular thread, I will remain amother orange Smile

Miri7

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 9:18 am
I use it only to protect my own privacy - details about my life that are private or could identify me IRL.

If I am going to post something that may be unpopular, I post under my own and omit identifying details.

singleagain

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 10:24 am
I have never yet used amother, in fact when I joined I promised myself I never would use amother, but in a recent thread, my mother asked if she could post a reply to me, and I asked her if she was posting amother, she said of course, so I realize now, the only reason I will ever post amother is if I am replying directly to someone I know in real life because I don't necessarily want ppl to know that my screen name is connected to say my mother [or other relatives or friend]'s screen name

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 10:44 am
I've never used amother and doubt that I ever will. My screen name is sufficient.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 11:14 am
I never have. I can't figure out how to do it. It isn't something I would want to do, anyway.

bluebird

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 11:24 am
There are times in which something doesn't seem personal or identifying, but legitimately are to the poster. I've had that a few times.

lfab

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 11:31 am
I use amother when posting private or identifying details about myself or another family member. Also if it's about something that I just discussed with others IRL so that if they are on here they don't connect me with my screen name.

SYA

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 1:12 pm
I post Amother when replying something that is somehow connected to my profession. If someone would go through my posts and read them, including the ones I write under Amother they would figure out who I am. Many simple questions seem non revealing but if someone reads all your posts they can put it all together.

heidi

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 1:16 pm
I came on imamother to help me deal with some things that no one in real life knows about. While I feel I can discuss them here, sometimes they are too painful or revealing to do in my "own" name.

ahuva06

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 1:17 pm
SYA wrote:
I post Amother when replying something that is somehow connected to my profession. If someone would go through my posts and read them, including the ones I write under Amother they would figure out who I am. Many simple questions seem non revealing but if someone reads all your posts they can put it all together.

You just made me curious!

JMM-uc

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 1:21 pm
I don't bother. I think (hope!) I'm totally anonymous on this forum

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:12 pm
There are things you may not consider personally identifying but would be to people who know the poster. There are unpleasant people on this board who make it their business to painstakingly collect bits of data about posters every time the members post, and from those accumulated dossiers figure out who the posters are. There are also people here who have friends and relatives who are also members. A prudent poster might choose to post anonymously when asking how to remove spitup from a microfiber sofa, because she either asked people IRL about it, or had friends over during the spitup incident, and posting under her own name would immediately out her to those friends.

Which is why I would never post under my sn about the woes of looking for a shidduch in a Charedi community when you're a curvaceous six-foot-two redhead with a PhD in chemical engineering and a love of high heels.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:13 pm
Only when I consider the information I'm posting to be private, or to protect the privacy of someone else.

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:14 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
I never have. I can't figure out how to do it. It isn't something I would want to do, anyway.

if you did want to, you would click on the "yes" button below the message box where it says "post anonymously". Default is "no". This particular forum says "anonymous posting disabled" so you can't do it here.

JMM-uc

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:20 pm

Last edited by JMM-uc on Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

youngishbear

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:27 pm
Quote:
Scratching Head

I think the point is that it is unique and therefore easily identified.

Thanks for the laugh zaq!

Last edited by youngishbear on Mon, Aug 03 2015, 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics