Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Is there a difference, how to heat food?

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 12:08 pm
I had a sefardi shobbos guest recently. She made a pot of food for her DH, for shobbos day. He's on a special diet, so, no problem. It was chicken thighs in a wonderfully smelling sefardi sauce. She boiled it before shobbos. Refrigerated it overnight. And then on Shobbos day, put the pot, sauce and all, on the blech with the lid tilted, and left it until it was boiling.

I was confused. Is this allowed? Is it a sefardi thing to allow reheating liquids on shobbos?

mille

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 8:11 pm
Yemenites (I believe) heat up liquids on Shabbat. Not sure about anyone else, but there definitely are opinions that allow ANY liquid (including soup!). Others will have different opinions as to what 'heating' means and what 'liquid' means.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 1:52 am
Very helpful info, thank you. I googled about it from your info and found so much interesting differences in halacha. Like how some rabbonim permit electricity use if it's not used to heat and only when necessary. But fascinating to learn these other opinions. The Yeminite base their heating liquids on shobbos on Rambam's psak. Wow. I think I can DLKZ my shobbos guest now. Wink

mille

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 6:01 pm
amother wrote:
Very helpful info, thank you. I googled about it from your info and found so much interesting differences in halacha. Like how some rabbonim permit electricity use if it's not used to heat and only when necessary. But fascinating to learn these other opinions. The Yeminite base their heating liquids on shobbos on Rambam's psak. Wow. I think I can DLKZ my shobbos guest now. Wink

I'm so glad to help! It's really interesting how wide the interpretations of halacha are on a LOT of things... I didn't know that the Yemenite opinion is based on the Rambam, that's so fascinating! Thanks for sharing, amother!

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 6:52 pm
just to add to the above, rav ovadia holds that you can heat up foods in liquid as long as the volume of the solid is higher than the volume of the liquid, which is usually the case unless it's a soup or sometimes a stew. and his opinion is very widely held by sefardi jews.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions