Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Hadlakas neiros question

where do you bentch licht when you are eating out friday night?
at home  
 90%  [ 81 ]
at host  
 7%  [ 7 ]
other  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 90

#1 Mom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 12:00 am
Just wondering

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 12:12 am
It depends. When I have guest erev shabbos or YT or especially second night of YT, I always offer to light in my house if they want to come earlier. I'm the only person I know who does that and it's because I invite mostly single women and it's not so pleasant to walk the streets alone after dark. If we're invited out, which almost never happens, I'm coming with my dh who's picking me up after shul so of course lighting is at home. I use tea lights in thick glass holders so there's no danger of their falling.

Leahh

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 12:53 am
I believe the halacha is that one is supposed to light in the place they are sleeping.
At least that's what I was told whenever I asked.

miami85

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 1:13 am
I think the answer is "it depends", there may be a choice of where you are eating or where you are sleeping. If you are home and eating in the neighborhood and would likely get home before the candles go out (I.e. oil) then light at home. If it's like Sheva brachos and might go until 1am, then light, stay home for 30 mins and then go to the meal. If you are away from home and just sleeping in an empty house--probably preferable to light where you are sleeping. If you are a guest at someone's house and going to your place-of-eating Friday night before Shabbos you can light where you are eating. The point is to get benefit from the neiros. If this is a safety question, make sure that there is a metal/foil pan under your licht, and that the neiros are firmly secure in the holders and that nothing is in a position to fall into it you should be fine.

chani8

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 4:52 am
Safety first. If no one is going to be home with lit candles, go early to your hostess and light there.

I learned you light where you eat, IIRC.

heidi

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 10:40 am
I learned you light where you sleep.
Chani8, you're totally right but I usually light, wait about 20 minutes and then go. And spend the whole meal praying my house didn't burn down.
Brilliant, huh??

einstern

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 6:36 pm
I hold it like this:
If I light at home, I daven in the candlelight (or use it in another way) and make sure to use candles big enough so that they still burn when I am back home.
If I go out and have no chance to light at home, I take candles with me to where I light (or in case time is pressing zedaka to give at the place).
Some people I know light at home w/o beracha and then light where they eat with beracha.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 6:51 am
When we're away I would lit at host even if we sleep at hotel because you can't lit at hotel. If there is no host then I would light in some way at the hotel and pray the alarm doesn't ring lol

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 6:58 am
I learned that you should light where you sleep, but that you have to benefit from the light after tzeis hakochavim, so that means either lighting and then waiting to leave until really late, or having candles that will still be burning when you get home.

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 4:48 pm
Leahh wrote:
I believe the halacha is that one is supposed to light in the place they are sleeping.
At least that's what I was told whenever I asked.

Either where you eat or where you sleep is acceptable. At least that's what I was told.

:)

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 7:03 pm
Has anyone heard if it's ok to light at home (without accepting shabbos) then drive to host? I once heard that, was wondering if it's allowed.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 7:16 pm
Smile wrote:
Has anyone heard if it's ok to light at home (without accepting shabbos) then drive to host? I once heard that, was wondering if it's allowed.

We do this when we go to the kosel for Friday night davening. I light early with the intention of not being mekabel Shabbos until shekiya and then we take a cab.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 7:19 pm
Smile wrote:

Ive done it a couple of times. Once when I was in Eretz Yisroel, I lit in the hotel, and drove to the kosel. And a couple of other times when I made a simcha

singleagain

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 7:19 pm
when I was in seminary, we were not allowed to light in our dorms, we had to light in the dinning hall. when we had an "in" shabbat, we ate there was no problem, when I was randomly staying at the dorm, and eating out, I was told I had to make kiddish and (at least) mezonot in dinning hall. so that's what I did.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note