Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Place for american chareidi couple to move

strawberry cola

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 3:45 pm
An American chareidi couple with a baby and toddler are looking to move to Eretz Yisrael- they would love to live in one of the central frum communities in Yerushalayim, but cannot afford the prices being asked.
They would like to first rent something for a year or so to see if it works and then hopefully buy.
Someone suggested Gilo but then they were told there are almost no English speakers and no English speaking gan. I am not sure that person is an authority, though. Does anyone know whether Gilo makes sense? Could someone suggest other neighborhoods? they are looking for a 2- bedroom apt about seventy meters. TIA for any and all leads.

heidi

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 4:22 pm
This has been said more times than I can count, but first they need to define what they really are. American charedi that the husband works in anything except klei kodesh makes them automatically American chardal.
I know nothing about Gilo but they should check where their friends are and try to be close to them. I can't imagine moving to Israel and not knowing anyone in the neighborhood.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 4:53 pm
heidi wrote:
This has been said more times than I can count, but first they need to define what they really are. American charedi that the husband works in anything except klei kodesh makes them automatically American chardal.
I know nothing about Gilo but they should check where their friends are and try to be close to them. I can't imagine moving to Israel and not knowing anyone in the neighborhood.

I don't agree. My DH is not in Kollel or klei kodesh. He was for a short time, but not now. He still affiliates w/ Charedim. (Although, he hates all the labels. I tell him that he better get used to it b/c this is life here in Israel.) It's more about the hashkafos and the "costume" (aka the black and white and black hat). Although, DH does not feel like he completely fits in. But, then again, we live amongst Israelis and he's an introvert.

Now, we came to Israel pretty soon after marriage and we came as a Kollel couple. That is different than many olim.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 4:56 pm
I once met an American lady who lives in Gilo. Although, she may have been Chardal.

What about Neve Yaakov? There's a nice American community and prices are lower (from what I have heard not by much) than more central Yerushalayim.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 5:02 pm
amother wrote:
I once met an American lady who lives in Gilo. Although, she may have been Chardal.

What about Neve Yaakov? There's a nice American community and prices are lower (from what I have heard not by much) than more central Yerushalayim.

I believe someone I know pays approx 4000 nis for a 3 bedroom, vs the almost $1700 I pay in one of the highly american neighborhoods in Northern J'lem. I could be wrong, but rent is definitely not nearly as high there as in Ramat Eshkol, Ganei Geulah and everything in between...

Shuly

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 5:52 pm
How about the new Givat Zev - Agan Ha'ayalot? It's right outside of Yerushalayim.
Or Ramat Bet Shemesh Gimmel if they don't mind being further away.

strawberry cola

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 8:33 pm
"I believe someone I know pays approx 4000 nis for a 3 bedroom, vs the almost $1700 I pay in one of the highly american neighborhoods in Northern J'lem. I could be wrong, but rent is definitely not nearly as high there as in Ramat Eshkol, Ganei Geulah and everything in between..."

Which location are you referring to at the beginning of your post?

strawberry cola

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 1:03 am
The father, in answer to the question, is in Klei Kodesh, learned in the Mir. If anyone knows about Gilo or has another suggestion, please let me know. Thanks for all

byisrael

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 2:37 am
Gilo is very very Israeli. What about French Hill? You can get a 2 bedroom for 3,400- 4,000 NIS a month- and it's right next to ramat eshkol and has a nice growing american community..... Buying such a property should be around 1,200,000 NIS. It's cheap because it's a mixed nieghborhood (jewish and arab). Gan and school is the same as ramat eshkol where you pay 4,000 NIS for a tiny one bedroom. Neve Yaakov is also an idea.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 3:52 am
The father, in answer to the question, is in Klei Kodesh, learned in the Mir. If anyone knows about Gilo or has another suggestion, please let me know. Thanks for all

Gilo is out of the question than. The traveling is too far and there are not so many Charedi Americans there. I would recommend Neve Yaakov, you can find a 3 bedroom in the mitchared for 3500NIS. Another location would be Ramot Polin- nice American Charedi community and the housing there is cheap. Ramat Eshkol is nice and central but you can also try Givat Hamivtar, which you can find a two bedroom for 3500NIS further up Sheshet Hayomim closer to the train station.

EBY

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 3:55 am
Beitar! It is a beautiful city that has great bussing to Yerushalayim - and it's just 20 mins away. I believe you can get a two bedroom there for under 3000 a month. There is great infrastructure there - schools, every kind of chareidi/chasidish shul you can imagine, doctors, cheap groceries, shopping - the only thing missing is a hospital - which is 20 mins away in Yerushalayim. There is a very nice, warm American Chareidi community there - including people in Kollel and those whose husbands work. If this person wants to get in touch with Americans who live there I can definitely help.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 4:19 am
I live on sheshet hayamin near the train- a two bedroom is more like 4,000 NIS.... French Hill is cheaper

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 5:11 am
strawberry cola wrote:
"I believe someone I know pays approx 4000 nis for a 3 bedroom, vs the almost $1700 I pay in one of the highly american neighborhoods in Northern J'lem. I could be wrong, but rent is definitely not nearly as high there as in Ramat Eshkol, Ganei Geulah and everything in between..."

Which location are you referring to at the beginning of your post?

Neve yaakov- I quoted a different post suggesting neve yaakov. sorry it wasn't clear

DrMom

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 5:31 am
strawberry cola wrote:
An American chareidi couple with a baby and toddler are looking to move to Eretz Yisrael- they would love to live in one of the central frum communities in Yerushalayim, but cannot afford the prices being asked.
They would like to first rent something for a year or so to see if it works and then hopefully buy.
Someone suggested Gilo but then they were told there are almost no English speakers and no English speaking gan. I am not sure that person is an authority, though. Does anyone know whether Gilo makes sense? Could someone suggest other neighborhoods? they are looking for a 2- bedroom apt about seventy meters. TIA for any and all leads.

Perhaps it is different in haredi communities, but in my experience, even heavily-Anglo communities rarely have English-language gans. The idea is to let the children absorb the new language as quickly as possible so they will be integrated into Israeli society.

heidi

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 6:27 am
DrMom wrote:
Perhaps it is different in haredi communities, but in my experience, even heavily-Anglo communities rarely have English-language gans. The idea is to let the children absorb the new language as quickly as possible so they will be integrated into Israeli society.

Ramat Bet Shemesh has tons of English language ganim.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 6:59 am
I would google first for the yeshivish schools and go from there.
Chardal is much more Zionistic then american charedi.

June

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 7:10 am
I've never been to Neve Yaakov, but I've heard nice things about it from Anglos who live there.

Beitar is really nice, and it's between Yerushalayim and Beit Shemesh. A lot of people commute to both. Apartments are nice and new, and rents are affordable. It's considered a suburb of Yerushalayim; in fact, you can see the Chords Bridge from the hwy right outside Beitar.

And I agree with DrMom that Hebrew-speaking gan is a better choice if they want their children to acclimate and learn Hebrew.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 7:54 am
Do you need to live in Yerushalayim? There are plenty of places with some Anglos in other places at far cheaper prices.
What about Rechovot, Zichron, Ashdod, Petach Tikva? Nearer to Yerushalayim: TelzStone and Bet Shemesh.
All these places have thriving chareidi communities and reasonable or large numbers of English speakers.

There are only English ganim for little kids (under 3s) and only where there are large Anglo populations. From 3 and onwards, I think almost everyone sends to government or cheder ganim (if there is something private it will also cost money that they are trying to save).
If they are planning on buying (= staying), they should be sending their children to Hebrew speaking gan so they can integrate.

luppamom

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 11:06 am
shalhevet wrote:
Do you need to live in Yerushalayim? There are plenty of places with some Anglos in other places at far cheaper prices.
What about Rechovot, Zichron, Ashdod, Petach Tikva? Nearer to Yerushalayim: TelzStone and Bet Shemesh.
All these places have thriving chareidi communities and reasonable or large numbers of English speakers.

There are only English ganim for little kids (under 3s) and only where there are large Anglo populations. From 3 and onwards, I think almost everyone sends to government or cheder ganim (if there is something private it will also cost money that they are trying to save).
If they are planning on buying (= staying), they should be sending their children to Hebrew speaking gan so they can integrate.

Are those places really so cheap (in terms of rent)? I've heard that the Mercaz area is pricey too. Even Zichron Yaakov is not so cheap and it's far.

I think Beitar is a great option. Kiryat Sefer might also be. In Yerushalayim itself Neve Yaakov sounds like it fits the bill.

lech lecha08

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 4:11 am
Shuly wrote:
How about the new Givat Zev - Agan Ha'ayalot? It's right outside of Yerushalayim.
Or Ramat Bet Shemesh Gimmel if they don't mind being further away.

I second Agan Ayalot. DOn't know exact prices but it's for sure cheaper than in Y-M.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions