Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
When do you hide behind amother?
Previous  1  2

Whats the main reason for you using amother?
I never use amother  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Only when posting really private info  
 9%  [ 14 ]
When info is private or identifying  
 71%  [ 104 ]
To bash someone  
 0%  [ 1 ]
When posting something that others will disagree on  
 3%  [ 5 ]
I almost always use amother  
 8%  [ 13 ]
other  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 145

alef12

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 6:01 pm
Anything I would gladly share with my neighbor while chatting in the supermarket (in public) I post under my screen name. Anything private, under amother, especially private things about my kids. Don't need my daughters joining this forum in a few years and being embarrassed by posts they find about their teenage angst LOL

I doubt my screen name is anonymous, how many frum women in Monsey have pet chickens Cool ?

Frumdoc

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 6:35 pm
What is identifying for one person is often not obvious from their amother posts.

I find it really annoying when someone criticises amothers for being anonymous because "there is no way you can be identified from that" when in fact, in their world they could be, eg the only person in their shul to have 3 sets of triplets and work full time as a NASA scientist. Even if most scenarios are way more common than we think (MIL, DIL, errant irreligious family etc), it is reassuring to have at least a veneer of anonymity.

And I do find it creepy when certain posters gather information about others and use it to collate some kind of dossier. Someone (unasked and definitely unwanted) pm'd me their extensive suspicions about certain posters (not FS) lying about who they were and collecting for certain others whom they also thought/think are in on a conspiracy to defraud imamothers, and it was quite unsettling how paranoid and ugly their thought processes were.

anon for this

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 6:55 pm
I post as amother when I'm giving identifying information or sharing private information. When I do post as amother I'm extra careful not to offend others. I think I've achieved that goal because I've never been criticized for a post written as amother. If I'm sharing an opinion that may be controversial I always post under my screenname, and I've definitely had these posts criticized.

I have twice posted as amother only because I was afraid to "own" my opinion. Both times were not long after I joined. Neither post was at all controversial and both got only positive reactions, and I regretted afterward posting anonymously.

Liebs

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 10:33 am
Not nec private or identifying in nature but if you know me you'd figure out my screen name is me. Things I tell a lot of people IRL about.

PAMOM

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 11:25 am
If I say something that may be taken as insulting, I use my name (and try to reword the posting--sometimes). I believe I could be identified by a number of people who are on this list. I can tell from what they say that they could easily recognize me from a former professional capacity, and I don't want to be outed. I'm not bring conceited--I'm not famous or anything --but have had a job where I came in contact with a number of religious women in a specific circumstance.
Actually, I'm Magenta Yenta's sister from another mother.

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 8:22 pm
alef12 wrote:
Anything I would gladly share with my neighbor while chatting in the supermarket (in public) I post under my screen name. Anything private, under amother, especially private things about my kids. Don't need my daughters joining this forum in a few years and being embarrassed by posts they find about their teenage angst LOL

I doubt my screen name is anonymous, how many frum women in Monsey have pet chickens Cool ?

believe it or not, I knew such a woman some years ago. She no longer lives in Monsey and it may have been only one chicken, but there you go. Nobody is as unique as she thinks. Even so, people could figure out your true ID from piecing together other snippets of info, so you are wise to post private things anon.

Fave

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 8:50 pm
anon for this wrote:
I post as amother when I'm giving identifying information or sharing private information. When I do post as amother I'm extra careful not to offend others. I think I've achieved that goal because I've never been criticized for a post written as amother. If I'm sharing an opinion that may be controversial I always post under my screenname, and I've definitely had these posts criticized.

I have twice posted as amother only because I was afraid to "own" my opinion. Both times were not long after I joined. Neither post was at all controversial and both got only positive reactions, and I regretted afterward posting anonymously.

But you're always anonymous.....

I love your sn

anon for this

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:11 am
Fave wrote:
But you're always anonymous.....

I love your sn

Thank you!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics