Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Cute/funny classroom stories

amother

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 11:38 pm
I was teaching a class of sixth graders about cherem drabbeinu gershom. We discussed that before the cherem it was common for a Jewish man to have 2 wives (ie the avos). On kid piped up "How strange! Three beds in the master bedroom!?!

Anon cuz I've shared this story

Please share yours!

Frenchfry

Post Mon, Apr 30 2012, 11:40 pm
On a science test, one of my students wrote that its important to be careful during a solar eclipse because of the ultra violent rays!

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 12:19 am
When I told my nursery students that Akiva and Rachel were very poor, one boy piped up "They should go to the dollar shop!"

I was filling in the attendance sheet and asked the other teacher, "What's today? The 20th?" Same student says "Uh uh! It's 13 days in sefira!"

Anon cuz I shared the story.

Frenchfry

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 11:44 am
I taught parshas vayeitzei to second graders. One of them asked why Yaakov wanted so many sheep. I explained that in those days sheep was like money, so the more money you had, the richer you were.

Later that day I reviewed the parsha fcts from the beginning. I asked:

What did lavan do when he met yaakov?

They answered:
Hugged and kissed him

Why? To see if he had money

So then I asked "But why didn't he?". I expected to hear cuz eliphaz stole it

One child said "can't put sheep in your mouth!"

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 11:51 am
This didn't happen to me but love the story.

Teacher tells nursery students she will be out for a while because she's having a baby. Students ask where's your baby now? Teacher answers in mt belly student says "What Morah you ate you baby?"

Fox

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 11:56 am
One of my college students was in her first year of teaching BY 4th graders, and she wanted to illustrate a concept in Hebrew grammar by comparing it to English usage.

She asked, "Who knows what a contraction is?"

Every single 4th grade hand went up, and she called on a girl. "It's when your mother is getting ready to have a baby," the girl responded smartly.

"I mean a contraction in English. Can anyone think of a contraction that we use when we speak English?"

Every single 4th grade hand went down.

Hashemlovesme

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 12:03 pm
in grade school teacher asked dh's class what a whirpool is, s/1 said "refrigerator".

goodmorning

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 5:36 pm
amother wrote:
I was teaching a class of sixth graders about cherem drabbeinu gershom. We discussed that before the cherem it was common for a Jewish man to have 2 wives (ie the avos). On kid piped up "How strange! Three beds in the master bedroom!?!

Please share yours!

(Just a btw, I'm not sure if it was ever common for common Jewish men [excluding kings] to have many wives. It was allowed and it did happen, but I don't think it ever rose to the ranks of "common." Avrohom and Yaakov Avinu had very specific reasons why they had multiple wives.)

Pandabeer

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 7:00 pm
goodmorning wrote:
amother wrote:

Please share yours!

(Just a btw, I'm not sure if it was ever common for common Jewish men [excluding kings] to have many wives. It was allowed and it did happen, but I don't think it ever rose to the ranks of "common." Avrohom and Yaakov Avinu had very specific reasons why they had multiple wives.)

It was very common - Rabbeinu Gershon had 2 wives and because one of them was jealous and informed him by the king he then made the cherem.
and the cherem was only for the ashkenazim - in In Teiman it's still common (or was until not so long ago). My aunt had a neighbour who had 2 wives but because they moved to England he was legally married only to one. The other one was the less loved one and lived in the basement.

iluvy

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 8:42 pm
Frenchfry, that's so cute!

We were teaching first graders about relationships - what is a cousin, an aunt, a grandmother, etc. The teacher said, "Chanie has a brother Ari. Ari gets married and has a baby. What is Chanie?"

One kid answered, "Jealous."

happy mom1

Post Tue, May 01 2012, 9:18 pm
iluvy wrote:

We were teaching first graders about relationships - what is a cousin, an aunt, a grandmother, etc. The teacher said, "Chanie has a brother Ari. Ari gets married and has a baby. What is Chanie?"

That's so cute!

goodmorning

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 11:37 am
Pandabeer wrote:
goodmorning wrote:
amother wrote:

Please share yours!

It was very common - Rabbeinu Gershon had 2 wives and because one of them was jealous and informed him by the king he then made the cherem.

Do you have a source for that? I know that it appears in Marcus Lehmann's book, but while his books are interesting and entertaining, they contain known historical inaccuracies. (I think it is surmised that Rabbeinu Gershom married a second wife after his first wife passed away, however.)

It's interesting to note that we have quite a bit of primary source material from the time period of Rabbeinu Gershom, and there is little mention of a man marrying a second wife while his first is alive. This includes sifrei zikaron of people killed during persecutions, which would likely mention polygamous marriages if they were common.

OP, sorry for derailing the thread.

bigsis144

Post Wed, May 02 2012, 11:49 am
I teach eleventh grade music history, and was teaching about Classical composer Joseph Haydn.

I put "Joseph Haydn, 1732-1809" up on the board at the beginning of class, and spoke about his nickname "Papa Haydn", which he had for numerous reasons, one of which was his sense of warmth and humor. (Examples of whimsical touches in his music include the "Surprise Symphony", which gets steadily quieter and quieter until the audience starts to space out... and then the music comes in with a CRASH, jolting the now-awkward audience back to attention.)

I then put on a video of the Vienna Symphony playing Haydn's London Symphony in concert, so the students get a taste of an orchestra performance.

During one particular close-up on the conductor's face as he pursed his lips in concentration and waved his baton around, one girl piped up: "So why does Haydn look like he's in a bad mood if you said he was a happy guy?"

Banging head

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 7:26 am
iluvy wrote:

Cute!

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:22 am
I teach 2-3 year olds and was taking a kid to the bathroom she tells me "teacher--- your getting skinnier" I almost bursted out laughing was adorable

Another day this little one tells me teacher ---- is your mommy persistent ( bare in mind its a little 3 year old)

cuties' mom

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:22 am
One of my preschool students was annoyed with a friend.
"Oh, for the love of G-d," he said.
"What does that mean?" his friend asked.
"Do you know what lava is, that comes from a volcano? Whenever I'm naughty, my dad calls the lava G-d."
Of course, I told the boy's father about that. He didn't realize he uses that expression so much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics