Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How do you pay tuition?

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Aug 04 2015, 11:04 pm
I'm not asking how much you pay for tuition (I've seen a different post on that) but how do you LITERALLY pay it!?? I am paying 3 separate schools - each school was very generous and gave us a nice scholarship. The problem starts when we add those 3 amounts together! I don't understand how we'll be paying for it... when we add the monthly tuition amount due at each school with our monthly mortgage payment, that's covered all our income for the month - there's nothing leftover for other bills. and food or anything else!!! I have no idea what to do. any suggestions???
(in case you're wondering, we're a 2 parent income. no overnight camp for the kids, we're a no frills family. plus have some kids with disabilities that are a huge expense as well. but that would be a separate post...)

shoshanim999

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 12:12 am
Just wondering, what's your monthly mortgage payment and what do the 3 tuitions amount to monthly?

saw50st8

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 7:36 am
If your expenses are more than your income, you need to go back to the schools and explain that the current amounts are unaffordable and ask them to work with you further. I'm going with the assumption that you can't reduce expenses are increase your salary.

Miri7

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 9:12 am
Our scho inquires about all tuition obligations and takes them into account. Go back to the schools and tell them that your rent plus tuition eats up all of your income.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 10:08 am
This year, credit card debt.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 10:23 am
What we do for the school with largest tuition amount is pay a certain low amount monthly and then pay the rest lump sum out of our tax return refund money.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:20 am
I delayed having children. I pay my tuition from money I saved up from before. I invested the money and that income pays the tuitions. I could probably pay it now from current earnings but then my lifestyle might change.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:47 am
No mortgage
Live in a small apartment hence my living expense is less... All expenses have to add up...

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 12:39 pm
Ask a shaila. I know of individuals that pay their tuition (at least partially) from maaser money. The thought process is that since you can't afford it, if you ask for a tuition break that is covered by maaser anyway.

My dh doesn't believe in that, as he feels that a father is obligated to pay for his boys chinuch if he can't learn with them himself. However for my dd we did pay tuition from maaser money when we went through a particularly rough period. If your LOR approves, this may help.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 2:11 pm
amother wrote:
Ask a shaila. I know of individuals that pay their tuition (at least partially) from maaser money. The thought process is that since you can't afford it, if you ask for a tuition break that is covered by maaser anyway.

My dh doesn't believe in that, as he feels that a father is obligated to pay for his boys chinuch if he can't learn with them himself. However for my dd we did pay tuition from maaser money when we went through a particularly rough period. If your LOR approves, this may help.

My tuition is more than ten percent of my income so I don't pay maaser.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children