Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Chinese chicken wonton soup?

smile

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 6:52 pm
Anyone has an easy recipe for wonton chicken soup/ Chinese chicken soup?

We had it in a restaurant and whole family loves it. So I want to try to make my own.
If possible I prefer one which hasn't got a lot of different ingredient, as simple as possible but with similar taste.

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 7:19 pm
It's Chinese kreplach soup.

Chicken broth and then the wontons with chicken. Traditionally baby bok choy is used as the vegetable and sometimes some julienned vegetable root.

Do you want a real recipe?

smile

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 7:38 pm
If you have a recipe then yes it would be appreciated. Thanks

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 7:39 pm
For the wontons or the broth?

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:13 pm
Making the wontons is a bit of a potchke. If you haven't made them before - or kreplach, there are step by step diagrams to show how to make. But it's like making kreplach - the filling is easy but assembling is a bit of a potchke.

For The Wontons:

Ingredients
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped into large pieces
1 medium green onion (scallion), chopped
¼ teaspoon soy sauce
½ teaspoon rice wine
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
Small pinch of salt
Small pinch black pepper
¼ teaspoon fine sugar
30 wonton wrappers

In a food processor, add the chicken, chopped green onion, soy sauce, rice wine, ginger, sugar and pepper.

Pulse until the meat is ground and comes together in a ball.

On a clean surface or cutting board, arrange the wonton wrappers.
Have a small bowl of water nearby.

Spoon ½ teaspoon of of the chicken mixture into the center of each wonton.

Wet a finger in the water and wet 2 edges of the wonton.

Fold the opposite corner to meet the wet edge to make a triangle.

With the wet corner facing away from you, bring the left and right corners around to meet at the bottom, press together. Use water to help them stick.

Fill the biggest saucepan you have with plenty of water and bring it to the boil. Add enough dumplings to create a single layer on the water. It’s important not to overcrowd the pot, so cook them in batches if you are cooking lots. Stir them gently as you bring the water up to the boil again. When the dumplings float to the top, they are cooked.

The soup is really just chicken broth with some Chinese flavorings.

For The Soup

8 Cups Chicken Stock
3 tables chopped fresh ginger
10 cloves sliced garlic
3 scallions
1 - 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
dash of Soy Sauce

Heat all ingredients Together

If you want to have some diced chicken - dice about 1/2 cup of raw chicken and coat in some cornstarch and cook in the chicken stock.

Add Veggies that you want

I like bok choy (most traditional) - add stem and cook for about three minutes and then add the leafy part at the last minute

Other veggies that can be added to the soup depending on your tastes

Sliced Shitake Mushrooms
Sliced Carrots

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:32 pm
I have a pretty authentic recipe (my family is originally from Harbin) that's much easier and tastes great. For broth, you just use standard clear chicken soup.

1 lb chicken mince
4-5 stalks salad onions (scallion), cleaned, finely chopped for both white and green bits
grated fresh ginger, about 1/2 teasp
2 teasp cornstarch
2 teasp soy sauce
2 teasp toasted sesame oil (optional, but it really adds flavour)
a pinch of white pepper

Mix everything in a bowl very well. For wonton soup, we use square wonton skin (round one is for fried/potstickers). Keep stacks covered with clingfilm till ready to use. Place 1 heapful teasp of filling at the centre of wonton skin, fold diagonally into a triangle, seal with a finger dipped in water (keep a bowl with water handy). You can freeze at this point. Boil in either salted water or water with soup powder--you know it's cooked once they float on top. I prefer not to cook them in chicken broth because wonton skin has corn or rice starch to prevent sticking and if you cook them in chicken soup it make soup go murky.

If you want something with better texture, you can also add either 4-5 finely chopped fresh shiitake mushrooms (stalks removed) or a handful of chopped water chestnuts.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 12:56 pm
PS. I just found this a hard way. Gefen wonton skins are really thick and more appropriate for frying/baking rather than boiling in soup. Nasoya ones are thinner and much better for soup dumpling. BTW, once boiled the wontons do come out 'wrinkly' (that's the way it should be).

shoshana2

Post Tue, Jun 14 2016, 10:11 pm
Best and easiest is the one from "Kids in the Kitchen"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics