Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Regular flour in bread maker???

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 8:42 am
So I started filling my challah ingredients into the bread maker and of course 2nd to last ingredient is bread flour and of course I only have 1/4 cup. So I add regular flour to the mix, but of course I only have 2 cups of that, so I add 1 cup of whole wheat- am heading out shopping now four flour- but will this come out ok and taste ok????

etky

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 8:47 am
I wouldn't worry about subbing the all purpose instead of bread flour at all. As far as the whole wheat goes, if it was only 1 cup I think it should be fine. The dough might be a bit stiffer or drier than usual and it may rise a tad less but I think overall it should be OK.

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 9:38 am
Thanks! What is the difference between bread flour and regular flour??

etky

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 9:44 am
The amount of protein in the flour. The bread flour has more protein which encourages the formation of gluten. Gluten gives the dough lift and structure. But don't worry - the difference in challah is often inappreciable. Many people I know never use bread flour at all for their challah, just the all purpose.
Whole wheat is more problematic to sub w/o altering the recipe since it forms less gluten than white flour and also requires more liquid to hydrate the dough. But you only subbed one cup so it should be fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics