Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Can I find this in West Hempstead?

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:05 am
We are out of towners looking for a nice down to earth, not ostentatious community on LI. Several people have told us we would like West Hempstead. My only concern is we would have to bus our children out of the neighborhood because there is only one school that is not our hashkfa. Do people do this? We would be sending to yeshivish schools in either the five towns or Queens. I just want to make sure others do this. If so what area do they live in and where do they daven?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:16 am
Following because in a similar situation. We live in the Five Towns and hate it, but we do like the schools. We are also considering moving to West Hempstead and just commuting the kids to their current schools. I know people do it at the high school level,but don't think it's as much for elementary. Looking forward to responses.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:35 am
I wouldn't suggest it.

Who would your kids play with on shabbos and after school?

You'll be forever schlepping back to the 5 Towns for school related things and birthday parties, etc. What about busing and days when Jewish schools are open but there isn't busing?

And what about your social life?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:47 am
I don't see what the big deal is. My kids already don't have anyone to play with on Shabbos because we don't live walking distance from their friends. A 15 minute drive is hardly a schlep. I don't have a social life as it is because I don't fit in where I am currently and I think my odds will be better in WH.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 11:53 am
As someone who lived in the five towns and hated every minute, I think it's a great idea. WH is supposed to be a much lower key, warmer, welcoming neighborhood than the five towns and it's literally a 15 minute drive at most.
Kids can have school friends and home friends. Or invite friends for Shabbos.
If we hadn't moved out of the country I would have strongly considered it.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 2:07 pm
A lot of people bus out to south shore or shulamit. They won't be the only ones..

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 2:22 pm
Do people send to bnos malka or bais yaakov in queens? Does anyone know where these families daven.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 6:29 pm
A few bus to BYQ. They mostly daven at Eitz Chayim- Dogwood park. The ones who send to 5T send to shulamith. Socially, it can be hard.

Aetrsnrady

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 6:31 pm
Also, while West Hempstead is more low key and less ostentatious than the 5T, it's still a solid NY community. It's not an oot feel at all

tovasara

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 10:58 am
I know that bais Yaakov of Queens has girls from West Hempstead.

beth allen

Post Thu, Aug 06 2015, 12:44 pm
There are many families that bus their children to 5T and Queens for elementary school- south shore, shulamith, tag, bais yaakov of queens,yeshiva of central queens, yeshiva har torah, among others. South shore and shulamith have the largest groups. A good portion also send to other yeshivas outside WH community for High School. Many people work in the 5T, even in the yeshivas there. So, people are driving back and forth to the 5T daily. WH is a wonderful community with a mix of all levels of observance and ages. Young Israel of West Hempstead, Anshei Shalom, and Eitz Chayim all have hospitality committees.(There are 2 Chabad shuls as well). Please look on each of these shul's websites to contact someone to spend Shabbos in WH or to get further information.. All shuls have multiple minyans where you can find the one minyan that fits you. There are community programs where all the shuls participate with each other.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating