Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Anyone using Social Thinking/Zones of Regulation?

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Aug 10 2015, 2:48 am
Just got a few of the books, ordered online. DH persuaded me to cheap out and not buy the full curriculum/lesson guides. Would love to hear tips on how to introduce it to kid (5yo), how/when you talk about it, other things you've learned about using it? Have you found it successful? Does it help with behaviors at home?

I am approaching this from the home angle because that's where I am, but would like to see it integrated into school too. Child is in mainstream school for now. I'm not sure how to approach this as I'm sure the teachers have their own ways of doing things and especially at this time of year must be extremely busy with both their own lives and getting the general class started, and don't have time to learn and implement a new system. But I'm especially concerned about the beginning part of the year because I'm not sure how quickly we'll have our support system in place (SEIT etc) and I really want things to start off on a good foot. On the other hand I'm worried about being too demanding because I don't want them to start telling me to find a special school instead of stepping on their toes. I already need to be a bit conspicuous because we have some health and eating issues as well, and of course whenever it falls into place there will be the SEIT coming in. But for now at least for various reasons I feel this is the best place for us so we need to make it work.

Any tips and experiences on how to handle this kind of communication/advocacy?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)